5: Things Can't Get Any-

You waited until nightfall, and then you unlocked the brig. You gathered some provisions, Tulio and Miguel got the boat. You tried to be as quiet as possible.

You were carefully putting the food in when something nudged you from behind. Your heart skipped a beat but then you looked up at Altivo.

"Oh,  Altivo," said Miguel. "Oh, thank you, old boy." The boat was ready. "If we can ever return the favor-"

"For pete's sake, Miguel," whispered Tulio. "He's a ruthless war horse, not a poodle."

You pulled Miguel's arm, "It's time to go." He nodded and you started lowering the boat. Then Altivo whined, you winced, "Quiet please."

"What's the matter with him?" asked Tulio.

"Oh, he wants his apple." Miguel pulled out the apple.

"Well, give it to him before he wakes up the whole ship," you said. You took the apple and Tulio took it from you.

"Fetch," he said, throwing the apple up. You continued lowering the boat when you heard something splash next to you. You shrugged it off but then you saw Altivo jump into the water.

"Altivo," you exclaimed. You looked at Miguel and he jumped into the water. You couldn't catch the rope and the boat landed harshly. Miguel continued after the horse and you called out for him to hurry up. Tulio took the paddles and rowed over to him.

"Are you out of your mind?" yelled Tulio. You turned around to see the ship approaching. "Oh ship!"

You were thrown into the water and emerged under the air bubble of the boat, gasping. Altivo was crazy, kicking and whining. "Loop the rope under him." Miguel did so and helped you and Tulio onto the other side of the boat.

"On the count of three we'll pull back on the rope," said Tulio. You took hold of the rope. "One-" you looked at the ship behind you. "Three! Pull!" It worked and Altivo laid on the now-saved boat.

You climbed on and laid back onto Tulio, exhausted. "Did any of the supplied make it?"

"Well um," said Miguel. "Yes and no." You looked up, confused.

"Altivo..." you said slowly. Altivo was eating the provisions.

"Oh great!" shouted Tulio, sitting up.

"Tulio, look on the positive side," said Miguel. "Things can't get any-" It started raining heavily.

"Miguel, were you about to say worse?" you asked harshly.

"No," he answered.

"No?" asked Tulio. "You sure?"

"Absolutely."

"Well, we're at least in a row boat," you said.

"Yeah, yeah," said Miguel and you laughed half-heartedly.