14: Lying Low

You got tired of watching though so you joined Miguel and the children. You thought it was silly for about a second before realizing how fun it was. It had been so long since you did something just for the fun of it. No scam. No ulterior motives. No hidden reason.

You and Miguel were chasing a ball and knocked into Tulio with Chel behind him. They wore angry expressions which confused you.

"What do you think you're doing!" he said sternly.

Miguel chuckled, "Lying low."

Tulio went to grab his neck and you pushed him back. Tulio looked around at the natives and said quietly, "Okay, change of plans, we have to grab what we can carry and head out of here. Now."

"What?" said Miguel.

"Why?" you asked.

"Because the high priest is nuts!" answered Tulio. "He wants-"

"This is unacceptable." You looked behind Tulio and saw Tzekel-kan. "

"Yeah. Yeah! Like he said," said Tulio. You nudged him.

"The gods should not be playing ball like this," continued Tzekel-kan.

"Exactly," said Tulio. You looked at him icily, which made his facade falter for a second.

Tzekel-kan showed you the pitch where ball is played among adults and said, "This is how the gods should play ball."

Tulio glared at Miguel, who said, "Well, don't blame me."

"Oh, I blame you," said Tulio.

You smacked his head. "Well you shouldn't."

He looked away. "What is the object of this game, pray tell?" he asked bitterly.

"You gotta knock the ball through the hoop," said Chel.

"What hoop?" you asked.

She pointed. "That hoop." It was a small hoop high up."

"That's impossible, we're going to lose," said Tulio, beginning to panic.

"The gods don't lose," said Chel.

Tzekel-kan snapped and there was rumbling. "My Lords, chief Tannaboks warriors are the finest ball players in the city. Fifteen mere mortals against two gods."

"Two?" you asked.

"I mean no offence, my lady," said Tzekel-kan quickly. "Women play in a different team because our bodies are built differently." You nodded. "But we can set up a game for you if you like."

"No!" you said. "No, no need." you gave a convincing smile.

He turned back to Miguel and Tulio. "Now I know that the game is a bit uneven but I hope they'll challenge you enough to make the game... interesting." Miguel and Tulio gulped. "Play ball!" He put the ball down. "Crush them into the dust."

You retreated next to Chel. "This isn't good," she whispered.

"We have to come up with something," you whispered back.

You watched as the players ran towards the ball. One kicked it and, instead of kicking it back or something, Tulio ducked. Chel facepalmed.

"My Lords," said Tzekel-kan. "Were you not supposed to put the ball into play?"

"Ohh!" said Tulio. "No, we were merely demonstrating the, um, traditional, uh, first avoidance maneuver."

"Ah, I've never heard of such a thing," replied Tzekel-kan. You didn't blame him.

"Excuse me, who invented this game?" asked Miguel.

"The gods," said Tzekel-kan, chuckling. "Of course." you cringed.

The ball was put into play. You had no idea what was going on besides what Chel was saying, "Tulio! The hip. The hip!"

You watched Tulio hurt his hip and then the other team scored. Then they scored again. And again. And again.

Chel would call out fouls to no avail. Miguel and Tulio dragged their feet along towards the ball but didn't get to touch it before the other team scored.

The ball went out of play several times and you would replace it. But there was once when you realized how much a rolled up armadillo looked like the ball. You showed Chel and she smiled, "you're a genius." she kissed your cheek.

You both walked over to hand the 'ball' to Miguel and Tulio.

"How long does this go on anyway?" asked Tulio, out of breath.

"The game is over when the shadow touches this line," said Chel.

"We need a miracle," said Miguel.

"No," you whispered. "We need to cheat." you showed them the armadillo. Tulio stared at it and took it. He kissed you and you retreated.