12: A boat

"A boat?" Tannabok looked confused.

"Yeah," said Tulio. This was his genius plan. A boat.

"We really hate to be ascending so soon," said Miguel. "But, um, some urgent business has come up," he pointed up, "some family issues have come up and it's just-"

"Yeah family."

"You know what we mean," you said.

The chief's eyes were wide. "Oh, we expected you to be with us for the next thousand years."

"Well, as we say in the spirit world, there's your plan and then there's the gods plan," said Tulio.

"And our plan calls for a boat," you added.

"'Cause we're going to ascend kind of in a horizontal pattern," said Tulio. You and
Miguel stifled laughs. "And then we're going to go vertical as we get further out to sea."

"To build a boat large and glorious enough would take about a week," said Tannabok.

"A week?" said Tulio. "Hmm."

"I wonder how long it would take Tzekel-kan to do it?" you asked.

The chief immediately said, "But-but for the gods, three days."

Tulio was going to object but you and Miguel nudged him. "If that's the best you can do."

"Well, perhaps if you were not burdened with so much tribute, you could leave sooner," suggested the chief.

You forced yourself to relax and said, "I like it here, boys?"

"Yeah," said Miguel. "Three days is just fine."

You walked back to the temple. Chel was there and you looked around the gold with her. She was a little closer than usual.

"No," said Tulio. "Three days is not fine." He showed her a pair of earrings he was fidgeting with. "These, these are the ones."

She took them. "Thank you."

You looked at Tulio, reminding him that she was 'off limits'. "Problem," he mumbled. You looked at Chel and she smiled at the earrings. You helped her put them on and her skin was cold against your warm hands."How are we going to keep this up for three days?"

"You worry too much," said Miguel.

"No," replied Tulio.

"Yes," you said.

"No," he repeated. "I worry the exact amount. You can never worry too much. We just have to lie low."

You walked over and stood next to Miguel. The sight was beautiful. "But Tulio," said Miguel. "This place is amazing. I mean i wonder what-"

"No," Tulio said sharply. You frowned at him. "Don't even move." Miguel turned around. "You're moving!"

"Uh but," Miguel took a step.

"Hey, hey, hey!"

"But-"

"Stay. Just stand there."

Miguel stood still. "For three days?" he fell over.

"Don't be ridiculous Tulio," you said.

"I'm not being-"

"Yes, you are," you paused. Tulio opened his mouth to say something. "But we could lie low."

You both looked at Miguel and he said, "alright, we lie low."

"Promise?" asked Tulio.

"Yeah, yeah all right." Miguel leaned against a wall and looked out to the city. You saw Chel wearing the earrings and she shyly put her hair behind her ear.

"You look cute," you said. She smiled.

Tulio noticed too and nodded. He touched her earrings flirtatiously and said, "Now if you'll excuse me I'll look over my gold." He walked away. When you were sure he was gone you ran over to Miguel.

"Okay, all good, now go," you said. He smiled.

"You sure you can handle him," he said teasingly.

"I have been for years," you replied. "And now I have Chel for backup." You high-fived.

"Just go," she said.

He dashed down the stairs. You quickly sat down and tried to act natural. You quickly sat down and tried to act natural. Tulio was humming a little song and carrying some gold when he said, "Hey, what happened to Miguel?"

You and Chel shrugged. "I don't know,'' she said.

"We don't remember being hired as babysitters," you added.

Tulio dropped the gold and panicked, "Oh my god he's gone! He's gone. He's loose! What am I gonna do?" He ran over and threw himself on the couch.

You shared a look with Chel. She walked over and gently said, "Oh, Miguel is right you worry too much." She started massaging his shoulders. He started to relax.

Then Tulio suddenly jumped up. "Woah! No. Big Trouble." You pushed him back down and straddled him.

"Don't pretend you-"

"But we're in the middle of a con here," he complained, grabbing your thighs. "We're walking the razor's edge."

"I know," you said. Chel started to massage him again. "We could have gold." You kissed him. "Or painful, agonizing..." You unbuckled his pants. "... failure."

He bit his lip. "I can't afford temptations. "

"How horrible," you said mockingly, removing his shirt.

"I just don't know if I trust her." He motioned to Chel without looking away from you.

"Mmm. I'm not really asking you to trust me, am I?" replied Chel. You smiled. You started kissing his neck and began to lower but he stopped you.

"You're doing this to distract me from Miguel," he said.

"Yes, so?" you answered.

"Y/N, I don't want to have you this way, not while you don't mean it," he said. You stood up.

You looked at Chel and she nodded. You walked away saying, "I'll go check on Miguel."