11: To Xibalba!

You opened your eyes. Miguel was snoring in your arms. Tulio layed next to you.

"Good morning." The three of you yelled at the sight of Tzekel-kan. He wore a skeletal mask. "Good morning my Lords and my Lady." He retreated.

Miguel clutched onto you and whispered. "He's back." Tulio groaned.

You stumbled out of your... wherever you were, and fixed your clothes and hair. Chel made a faint whimpering noise and spread some flower petals. "What's going on?" you whispered.

"It's not gonna be good," she replied, spreading some more petals. You frowned.

"Thank you," said Tulio sarcastically.

"This city has been granted a great blessing," said Tzekel-kan to the crowd. "And what have we done to show our gratitude? A meager celebration?" You looked at each other. "The gods deserve a proper tribute!"

A bag with flowers and a simple, blue ribbon was brought out. Tulio and Miguel nodded at each other but you furrowed your brows.

"The beginning of a new era," continued Tzekel-kan. "The dawning of a new age demands," there was green light and the bag began unwrapping itself, revealing a weakened man, "sacrifice."

There was collective gasp. You stared in horror. Tulio tensed, "I don't like this."

"Tulio we've got to do something," said Miguel, putting a hand on his shoulder.

Tzekel-kan started nudging the poor man, who looked dazed and tired, towards a cliff. Your hand grasped Tulio's arm.

"Stop!" said Tulio, just as Tzekel-kan was bringing down a sword. The three of you walked up to him. The weekend man fell into your arms and Miguel helped you carry him. "This is not a proper tribute."

"You do not want the tribute?" asked Tzekel-kan with obvious surprise.

"No,no, no, we want tribute," said Miguel. "Uh it's just that, um, Y/N tell him."

Your mind raced as Tzkel'kan looked at you. You said, "The stars are not in position for this tribute." he glanced up at the starless sky.

"Like he said," Miguel continued dragging the dazed man, "Stars. Can't do it."

"Not today," added Tulio. He stared Tzekel-kan down and raised an eyebrow.

"Ah." He looked down. "Well it is possible I misread the heavens." He looked disappointed.

"Don't worry about it,'' said Miguel. You watched Tzekel-kan process his disillusion. 

"My Lords, Lady, may the people of El Dorado offer you our tribute," said Tannabok. You turned around to see women bringing out golden items, all shining in the light. Your mouth hung open. "Does this please you?"

You stared at the gold and Tulio made a satisfied noise. Miguel spoke up, "Yes, um very nice. Certainly acceptable."

"The gods have chosen," said Tannabok, raising his arms. "To Xibalba?" You nodded.

"To Xibalba!" said Miguel and Tulio. You heard the people cheer but saw Chel facepalm. Then you realized why.

The women began throwing the gold into the water below the cliff. Chel walked up.

"Hey, Chel, um, what are they doing?" asked Tulio.

"They're sending it to Xibalba," she said sternly. "The spirit world." Chel walked away.

"Spirit world," you repeated, still staring at the gold being thrown down.

"Stop!" called out Tannabok. You all turned to look at him. "They wish to bask. Take the tribute to the god's temple!"

Chel walked over triumphantly. "Nice going," you whispered, a sly smile plastered on your face.

You rode back and laughed with Miguel and Tulio. "Not bad for a day's work, eh?"

"Not bad at all." Miguel stretched.

"Yeah," said Tulio. "We just became richer than the king of spain." You smiled leaned into him. He wrapped his arms around you, still laughing.

"Speaking of kings," said Miguel. "The priest and the high chief seem a little..." he made a so-so sign. "...Tense?"

"Right?" you perked up. "Rivalry? We could use that."

"Look," intervened Tulio. "All we have to do is keep playing the one against the other." You tilted your head. "You know, do a little god dance, chant some mystic mumbo jumbo, dazzle them with some smoke and mirrors and get the hell back to Spain."

You nodded and then frowned. "How are we going to get all this back to spain?"

His shoulders sagged as he looked for an answer. You raised your eyebrows.