Chapter 52

The Gall of Gammon

Disclaimer: This story is my humble attempt to write a fanfiction of the epic Mahabharata. My intention is not to hurt anyone's sentiment.

Aum Namah Shivay!!

Major Jayant Roy, SM is a fictitious character. Any similarity with any living person is merely a coincidence.

Chapter 52

Hastinapur, Dwapar Yuga

Bhishma POV

Nine months had been passed since the death of Kunti and Pandavas. But Duryodhana firmly believed that they are alive. I hoped that his belief came true.

I was thinking about the event of last nine months alone in my room, when a guard entered. He bowed to me and told that Dronacharya, Kripacharya and Vidura are waiting outside. Two weeks ago, Dronacharya came back from Northern Panchal. He was now having the post of an advisor in the court of Hastinapur.

The three of them came inside and bowed to me. I welcomed them with a joyful heart. The three of them took their seats. They had come to me with some royal affairs. We had a lengthy discussion on those matters.

"Gangaputra, some Rakshashas were terrorising the villages of the northern border. But Rajkumar Duryodhana along with Angraaj Karna managed to kill them and end their terror." Kripacharya said to me.

I nodded affirmatively. Then I asked Vidura,

"Vidura, how is Duryodhana handling the royal affairs?"

Vidura looked at me. I felt that he was organising the answer in his mind. This was odd, because normally he always had his answers ready.

"Tatshri, Duryodhana has potential for a capable ruler. He loves his subjects very much. He does not have any prejudice for caste and creed. But, he has a very special place in his heart for kids. There is another thing I noticed in his character. He has no respect for social norms. He is a rebel. Yesterday, I heard a story about him. Can I have permission to tell?"

We were all curious. I nodded affirmatively.

"A few days ago, Duryodhana was visiting a village. There he saw two families having a serious quarrel. When the saw him, they told their problems to him. One family head was a carpenter and the other was a blacksmith. Both of them were best of friends. Their sons were childhood friends too. Now, here came a problem. The carpenter's son now having interest in iron works, and the blacksmith's son is interested in carpentry. The two families are having a quarrel among them."

We all were listening with interest. Really, the problem was interesting, because according to social rules, the son would follow his father's path by taking on his trade.

"Duryodhana asked both the fathers, that if they loved their friend's sons like their own or not? Both of them agreed that they really loved their friend's sons. Now Duryodhana asked the two boys that if they had real interest in their choices? The boys agreed. Then he gave a proposal."

"What was his proposal?" Dronacharya asked him. Curiosity was dripping from his voice.

"He told both the fathers to teach their friend's son in their crafts for one year. Then after one year, they should undergo a test. If they passed in that test, then they should have the freedom of pursuing their own choice. But if they failed in that test, then they have to obey their father and learn their trades."

"Mahamantri Vidura, this is a very interesting and unique proposal." Dronacharya said with a sigh. I curiously looked at him. His face had an unknown sadness in it.