Chapter 35

The Gall of Gammon

Disclaimer: This story is my humble attempt to write a fanfiction of the epic Mahabharata. My intention is not to hurt anyone's sentiment.

Aum Namah Shivay!!

Major Jayant Roy, SM is a fictitious character. Any similarity with any living person is merely a coincidence.

Chapter 35

Hastinapur, Dwapar Yuga

Jayant/ Duryodhana POV

The big day was near. I was walking on the corridor. Sahdeva was walking beside me. We both were silent for sometimes. Then we stopped at a balcony. Sahdeva stood beside me. We both were silent for a moment.

"The big day is coming, Sahdeva." I decided to break the ice between us.

"Yes...Bhrata Duryodhana."

I again looked at him. When he said that word 'Bhrata' to me, it felt like he was struggling to use that word.

"I want you to look at the stars. Calculate an auspicious day for the battle. Can you do that?"

Sahdeva smiled and nodded. I knew that he had a great knowledge about astrology and astronomy both. He could even become a match for Kripacharya in this domain.

"Yesterday night, I looked at the sky. The position of the stars told me that after seventeen days from today, there is a very auspicious day for any type of work. But I will look again today night. If anything changes, I will let you know at once."

I lightly patted his back.

"So then, we will have fifteen days to prepare. Good for me and you and us."

Sahdeva looked at me. I felt that he was trying to say something.

"Speak up little boy!" I gave him a mock glare.

"Sometimes, I cannot understand you. I tried hard with all my mind, but I failed every time." He said, meekly.

Now I was a bit stunned. The most intelligent of the Pandavas was having difficulty to understand a normal, common human like me. I would gladly accept it as a compliment.

I ruffled his hair childishly. Sahdeva gave me a little smile. Then he bowed to me and walked towards his room. I stood alone for a moment. Then I started walking again. I need to meet Pitamah, and consult with him. When I reached there, I told the guard outside the room to pass the news of my arrival. The guard walked inside. Then a few moments later, he came outside and told me that Pitamah ordered me to enter.

I went inside, and saw Pitamah Bhishma sitting on a chair. But he was not alone. Dronacharya and Kripacharya were sitting beside him. I walked towards them, and touched their feet. They all blessed me.

"Pitamah, if you are busy, then I can come in some other time."

"No, no, putra. WE three old men were just chatting among us. Tell me, why are you here in this time?"

I took a deep breath, and organised the thoughts in my mind. I had a little knowledge of warfare in my previous life (!), but ancient warfare was different. If this was Kali Yuga, then I would launch an 'Ashwatthama attack', and dragged Drupad from Kampilya city, the capital of Panchal.

Bhishma was silent, but he was curiously looking at me. Dronacharya and Kripacharya were silent too.

"Pitamah, logic says that one should enter in a war after calculating the strength and weakness of both him and his enemy. Now, I want to consult with all of you about the strength and weakness of our enemy, which means Panchal Kingdom."