Chapter 2

The Gall of Gammon

Disclaimer: This story is my humble attempt to write a fanfiction of the epic Mahabharata. My intention is not to hurt anyone's sentiment.

Aum Namah Shivay!!

Major Jayant Roy, SM is a fictitious character. Any similarity with any living person is merely a coincidence.

Chapter 2

Hastinapur, Dwapar Yuga

Bhishma POV

The previous day night, I could not sleep well.

I saw a terrible nightmare in my sleep. I saw a dark black cloud coming towards the city of Hastinapur, trying to engulf the whole city in it. I was standing in front of the main gate of the city, holding my bow. I started shooting celestial weapons to the cloud, but the cloud engulfed all my weapons.

Then I tried to invoke the Bramhashtra, when with great shock, I found that I forgot how to invoke it.

I did not feel so alone, tired and helpless in my entire life. As a last resort, I stood in front of the cloud. I would fight it until my last breath, I thought to myself.

Then suddenly I saw a bright white light. The light was coming from behind my back. The black cloud which was advancing towards me now stopped. It was like the cloud was stopped by an invisible barrier. I felt a presence behind me, so I turned my head.

A figure totally made of bright white light is standing behind me. It has no face, no eyes, just full of white light. Somehow, I felt protected by it. The figure bowed to me and started fighting with the cloud. It was throwing balls of white light to the cloud. Those light balls were hurting the cloud.

Then I saw another figure coming towards us from south. This figure was just like the other figure, but made with grey light. When the figure came and stood in front of me, I felt a mixture of emotion, just like a normal human. The grey figure bowed to me, and it also started fighting with the cloud with balls of grey light.

Both the figures were fighting with all of their might. While watching them, I felt like my lost strength was coming back to me. I held my bow again, this time with my newfound strength. I decided to go in the middle, but again I saw that some invisible barrier was preventing me to go to the middle. The message was clear; I have to go to a side.

I immediately ran beside the white figure, and started shooting the arrows again. Both of us seemed to gain upper hand on it, when suddenly I felt something very wrong in my mind. I immediately looked at the grey figure.

The alone grey figure was fighting with all of its might. But now the cloud changed its tactics. It now focused all of its power to the grey figure's side. The grey figure fought bravely, but in a moment, the cloud engulfed him. Then it came towards us.

It was this moment, when I woke up. My forehead was covered with sweat. I was feeling weak. I somehow stood up from my bed and splashed some water on my face. Then I went to my mother, the Holy Ganga, for my morning bath and prayer. Only my mother's cold touch could comfort my turbulent mind now.

After finishing my prayer, I saw my mother coming from the water. Her face had the same loving and peaceful smile which always calmed my mind.

"Pranipat, Mata." (Greetings, mother), I bowed my head.

"Ayushmaan Bhava, Putra." Mata Ganga blessed me. (May you live long, son). Then she looked at my face.

"You seemed to be very anxious this morning. There is something bothering you." She said.