Chapter 6

The Gall of Gammon

Disclaimer: This story is my humble attempt to write a fanfiction of the epic Mahabharata. My intention is not to hurt anyone's sentiment.

Aum Namah Shivay!!

Major Jayant Roy, SM is a fictitious character. Any similarity with any living person is merely a coincidence.

Chapter 6

Hastinapur, Dwapar Yuga

Kripacharya POV

The five sons of late Maharaja Pandu were now living in the palace, along with their mother, Kunti. A lot of things were changing now in the palace. The Kauravas were literally avoiding them from the last two days; probably Duryodhana ordered them to do so. His hundred brothers were fiercely loyal to him, and they obeyed his every single command as it was the command of Shri Vishnu. But Duryodhana was becoming a complex character.

I know him from his birth and from his whole childhood. The spoiled, arrogant, pampered and hot headed boy literally changed over in a day. Now, every single day in the early morning, he took his brothers to the Ganga River. After having their bath, they all chanted the 'Shiva Tandav'. I must admit, that the hymn in his voice was a treat to the ears. He chanted it with so much devotion, it felt like that Mahadev's blessing was literally radiating over that place. Yesterday, Bhishma and Vidura were discussing about starting the education of the princes...both shashtra (book) and shastra (weapons).They requested me to accept the responsibility. Now, being the family priest, my workload was already tremendous. I told them that I could take the responsibility for a short period of time. Then I suggested the name of my sister Kripi's husband, son of Sage Bharadwaj, Dronacharya. Vidura supported my decision.

Now I was getting ready for my journey. Kripi's family lived in a village which was in the border of Kuru kingdom and Panchal kingdom. My mind was full with joy with the thinking of meeting my sister and her son, Ashwatthama. I also admired Dronacharya a lot because he was well versed in shashtras and shastras. He was a master of celestial weapons...first taught by his father, Sage Bharadwaj and then by Sage Parashurama. If he accepted the princes as their disciples, then that would be a very great thing.

I walked to the door of the palace and saw the hundred and two boys. Duryodhana was in their front; his hundred brothers along with Yuyutsu and his servant Guha were behind him. All of them were coming from the river, judging by their wet and semi wet clothing. Duryodhana saw me and bowed his head, "Pranipat, kulguru." His brothers and servant also bowed their heads.

"Ayushmaan Bhava!" I blessed them.

"Are you going somewhere?" Duryodhana asked me.

"Yes. I am going to visit my sister and her family." I replied.

"Can I go with you?" He asked me.

"But, Duryodhana, my sister's home is one and half yojanas from the palace. I will walk the path. Can you do that?" (1 yojana = 12 k.m)

"But gurudev, you can always have a chariot." Dussasan asked me.

"I am a sage, Dussasan. I will ride a chariot only when I am fighting in a war.", I smiled.

"I can walk gurudev. Please wait here...I am coming in a moment after changing my dress. Dussasan, Vikarna, today both of you are in charge of your brothers. Their safety is your duty." Duryodhana literally ran towards the palace. The other princes followed him.

A few moments later, I saw him coming. He was properly dressed now.

"Let's go Gurudev. I am ready." He said. In his belt, there was a long knife in sheath.