Chapter 58

The Gall of Gammon

Disclaimer: This story is my humble attempt to write a fanfiction of the epic Mahabharata. My intention is not to hurt anyone's sentiment.

Aum Namah Shivay!!

Major Jayant Roy, SM is a fictitious character. Any similarity with any living person is merely a coincidence.

Chapter 58

Hastinapur, Dwapar Yuga

Jayant/ Duryodhana POV

I was looking at the Paneer Kofta, boiling in the pot in front of me. The food smells good. This was my small apology to Kakashri Vidura. I knew that I hurt him badly today.

I was hurt from that moment I entered in Kampilya. I didn't know why my mind automatically remembering the death of my little sister. Her painful death at the age of ten, my helplessness that I couldn't save her, her burning pyre...

I forced out those thoughts out of my mind.

"I am the unfortunate one. I am standing in front of the Param Brahma himself. If anyone else was present here, then he or she should went to him and pray for knowledge or salvation. But I, Jayant Roy can't do that. I choose to be the enemy. I do not regret my choice. I am trapped in my anger and hatred. When I look at Sri Krishna, I see my sister's dead body. When I hear his voice, it seems my sister's dying breaths were echoing. Yes, my battle or revenge or misunderstandings or foolishness or whatever it is, it is entirely personal. But I can't sit idle and covet other's possessions like the original Duryodhana. If someone wants to mark his name, then he must have the courage to achieve. The greatest power Mahadev gave the mankind is his ability to try and try again. Now it's the time to try. I have the open field, but not for too much time. If I can defeat Jarasandha, then I will probably have an edge over those half Devtas."

Dinner was a grand affair. Even Kakashri was present along with Kakishri. My Paneer Kofta was an instant hit. Each and everyone were praising my dish. Mata Gandhari was literally beaming with joy. Pitamah and Kakashri also praised me. Maharaja Dhritarashtra was also pleased. Even Dronacharya and Kripacharya praised my cooking too. Karna and Ashwatthama were also having a divine bliss while eating.

Then the time came. The time for my proposal of attacking Magadha was laid in front of the Maharaja and Mata Gandhari. Both of them were literally shocked to their core. I looked at Karna, who was looking at me with a static face. Ashwatthama was a bit shocked. Dronacharya and Kripacharya were literally shocked.

"But...Jarasandha is invincible! No one knows how to kill him. If we attack Magadha, then we may have to face the combined power of Magadha, Pragjyotisha, Poundra, Chedi, Karusha, Avanti and Vidarbha. Bhagadutta, Poundrak, Shishupal, Dantavakra, Vinda- Anuvida and Rukmi...it is not easy to face their combined power. Girivraja is also a well protected city. Mountains surrounded the whole city from every direction." Maharaja Dhritarashtra said in an anxious voice.

I smiled silently.

"Was he thinking that I hadn't considered all of those options?" I thought to myself. Then I turned at Mamashri and nodded at him. He came a bit forward.

"Maharaja, can I speak a few words?" He said in a low voice. Maharaja Dhritarashtra nodded affirmatively.

"Maharaja, according to my spies, Jarasandha has considerably lost his military might over his multiple campaigns against Mathura. His allies lost a lot of their army too. Now the Yadavas, most importantly Vasudev Krishna is in Dwarka. Jarasandha has a disadvantage now due to the distance from Magadha to Dwarka. Still, he is burning with revenge, so, he is planning to sacrifice one hundred imprisoned kings. If we can rescue them, it would be helpful for us politically. We will gain hundred new allies. Shishupal is staying in Girivraja now with twenty thousand infantry and five thousand cavalry. The Magadha army numbers now less than an Akshauhini. Poundraka is now drowning himself in wine and women. While he is not intoxicated, he devoted himself impersonating Vasudev Krishna. Now, our main concern should be Rukmi, Vinda- Anuvinda and Dantvakra. But my dearest nephew already took care of that problem."