〜 chapter 45 〜

On the way back to Liyue, we had small smalltalk's here and there, not really speaking of any important things as we enjoyed the short time that we didn't had to stress about anything.

But as soon as we came near the bridge that would lead towards the harbor, things got serious once again as there were many Fatui agents and Millelith placed all over the place, conversing each.

As we wanted to make our way to the bridge, we were stopped from one of the Fatui Members. I recall his name was Felix.

"Ah you're —"

He began, looking directly at me who stood a little bit behind the others and frantically shook my head as I realized that he was about to say out my name. He slightly looked like he remembered my mission and turned his head to Zhongli before continuing his sentence.

"... the consultant to Wangshen Funeral Parlor... Mister Zhongli, I presume?"

He said, quickly covering his almost committed mistake without the notice of Aether or Paimon. Since Zhongli somehow already knew of my identity, I could care less if some Fatui agent blurted something out in front of him, but since the other two were also here, I needed to be careful.

"The Millelith are watching our every move now. These are desperate times, we mustn't act rashly"

Felix explained, directing his words towards Zhongli since he also had a contract with the Fatui, but I knew that it was also meant for me.

"Why does so much things happen in such a short time here in Liyue?"

I asked myself, not really liking the idea of the Millelith suddenly watching over the Fatui since we were close to reach our goal.

"Desperate times?"

Zhongli then asked, skeptical about the meaning of this to which Felix slightly nodded.

"The Adepti of Jueyun Karst are finally on the move"

The male with the short blond hair answered, still looking at Zhongli through his mask before the brown-haired male spoke up again.

"Do they intend to exercise force?"

"Most likely. I've heard that some members of the Qixing have already gone to meet them... well, I say "meet" but it's more like they're attempting to stall the Adepti outside the city. However, both sides were quite obstinate, and hit an impasse"

Felix said, explaining what exactly happened.

"It seems inevitable, giving the current situation..."

Zhongli's words were rather silent as he rested his hand on his chin, looking at the ground in thoughts as Felix continued to tell us something.

He told us a little bit more about the business with the Adepti and what their ideal is before explaining that Ningguang was the one who ordered to have an eye over the Fatui's actions, and also over the Funeral Parlor since Zhongli also had business with us, so the brown-haired male decided it would be the best to clear things up himself.

"I'm afraid I have to go now. ( Y/N ), Aether, Paimon, we will meet soon to complete the rite of parting. Take care"

He said as a soft smile made its way on his lips.

A wide grin was plastered on my face as I nodded at Zhongli, giving him a thumbs up before opening my mouth to speak.

"It's the same for you, take care till we meet again, ehe~"

A slight chuckle could be heard as he raised his hand and patted my head before making his way over the bridge towards his destination as my cheeks were light pink because of his action. Turning around, I saw Aether who wore a kinda unpleased look for a moment but returned to his normal expression immediately after.