CHAPTER 19 - NOT THIS KIND OF LUCKY

Mina's POV

Monday

I and violet made our first batch of cookies. The taste was okay, but half of them burnt mostly because we were too proud to keep asking Matt everything, and set the oven to a wrong temperature. We ended up eating the remaining half, along with Matt.

I got a ding from my phone and checked. It was an email from Nengi. So I had set up a fake email so that I could email her from a fake NGO. I put in a lot of work because needed it to look legit and real. It wasn't too hard considering I still had emails that were sent to me, from the fake NGO that handled mine, but I needed to pay attention to every detail. I had a feeling they will show Tekena the email as well, so it had to be perfect. One mistake and he will sense foul play.

My next step will be to send forms and documents for them to endorse. It was going to be a lot of work, but I could do it. Thanks to the highschool library computers which I could access for free.

In her response, Nengi expressed her delight at receiving a scholarship offer from us. She wrote that she had accepted the offer and was awaiting further instructions on what to do. She ended the email with a 'Thank you and God bless'. I almost burst out laughing. Girl, come on! It's supposed to be a formal email. I remember I also used to reply mails with a similar phrase. As if the blessing will make things go any better. I could imagine her and aunty Boma thanking God for the scholarship offer. They might even give a testimony in church. Two scholarship offers in a month. All she had to do was choose. If only she knew!

"What was that small smile about?" Violet asked, through a mouthful of cookies.

I looked up at her. "Ughm...my cousin just got a full scholarship"

"Wow...that's amazing" Matt said.

"She's so lucky" Violet said. "I wish I can be that lucky"

Not this kind of lucky. I wish no one else gets this kind of lucky.

*****
Wednesday

We're at Twinhills high, waiting for the students to come for lunch. I heard my phone message tone and checked. It was Luke

Luke: Hey

Okay, chatty Luke is back. Someone's probably horny.

Me: Are you craving chocolate cake already? You know should watch your sugar level 😉

Luke: ......

Luke: ......

What's taking him so long to type?

Luke: Funny...but I was just checking on you actually.

I scrunched up my brows. This guy is more confusing than further maths. First he tells me he's not my boyfriend but now he's checking on me.

Me: you don't have to. Chat me when you're craving something. Gotta go...lots of people to attend to.

There wasn't a single person to attend to. I just didn't want his hot and cold vibes. I had many things to worry about. Like how to get Nengi's application sorted out. She had sent me all the necessary documents required for an application and I was applying to several schools on her behalf. Hopefully I will get one that covered a full scholarship. We'd worry about the travel expenses when we get there.