20. Apologies

Following Mateo's truck to the diner has me on the edge of my seat

Following Mateo's truck to the diner has me on the edge of my seat. I mean he made it seem like he wasn't upset with me, As if he were genuinely happy to see me. But what if he just wants to ask about the party. If that's the case then I will gladly leave the diner. I know it's best to talk about it but I want to tell him everything and that's not going to happen until I'm ready.

Parking next to his truck, my palms are sweaty as I put the car in park. Taking off my seatbelt and turning off the car, I step out and close the door behind me and wait for Mateo to come around. His tall figure comes into view and he has a warm smile on his face. He's wearing a black hoodie, blue jeans, and his black Converse.

"You ready to go in?" He asks as he locks his truck. He makes sure the alarm goes off three times. "Uh yeah." I mutter quietly and start to walk to the door. We walk side by side in silence, it's a comfortable one though but it feels weird. Maybe because every time we come here we joke around with each other and talk our mouths off.

He holds the door for me and lets me walk in first. Muttering a quick thank you, I make my way into our usual booth. I look around for Valencia but I can't seem to find her. She must be off today, which is good because she's always working and she can use time for herself.

We sit down and wait for a waiter to come and attend us. I look out the window next to us not wanting to face him but I can feel his eyes staring at the side of my face. I play with my hands trying to distract myself.

Through the corner of my eye, I see Mateo taking off his hoodie. I turn to face him and when he takes off his hoodie I'm surprised by what I see. There are tattoos littered all over his right arm. From what I'm able to see, there's a small bird on the top of his forearm, what seems to be like a tree branch beneath the bird, and a bunch of other little tattoos that go up to his bicep. I'm assuming he has more but I'm not able to see due to the sleeve of his shirt.

"I didn't know you had tattoos." I break the silence and he looks at me with a smile. "Yeah I don't really show people since I usually wear long sleeves. But now you know." He says with a grin while looking down at the tattoos. "They look good on you." I tell him and he looks up and his cheeks turn a little pink. His eyes seem lighter today, it's like I'm able to read him more.

The waiter comes to our table and asks what we would like to drink and eat. I said a sprite and some fries, I'm not really that hungry. But Mateo always seems hungry so he orders a lot of food. When the waiter leaves, I turn back around to face the window. I have to tell him I'm sorry. It's now or never.

"I'm sorry," I say, still facing the window. "I'm sorry I yelled at you after the party. I'm sorry I didn't tell you about my brother. I'm sorry I didn't text you back. And I'm sorry for just leaving like that. I hope you understand I was mad and I didn't know how to react. I'm sorry." Trying not to break down in front of him again, I take a deep breath and turn to look at him. He stares at me with a small smile.