21. My Person

Watching Veronica walk through the field makes me smile

Watching Veronica walk through the field makes me smile. I finally decided it's time to tell her everything about me. Especially about Marisela. I can't keep avoiding it, eventually she was going to find out. If she's going to be a part of my life, she deserves to know everything about me.

I quickly get a blanket I always keep in the back, but when I'm about to close the backdoor I spot my camera. This is my first time coming to the field ever since Marisela passed. I've taken pictures but not here. It's hard losing someone you love, she was everything to me, it didn't matter that she was older than me. I always felt the need to protect her. No matter what.

Hesitantly, I reach for the camera and hide it beneath the blanket. I take a deep breath to prepare myself, this is for the best, I think to myself. I'm sure Veronica will understand and she'll be able to help me when I need someone. She's helped even though she doesn't know it. Her beautiful face is always on my mind. Her smile always brightens up my days.

It feels strange being here without Marisela.

I shake my head hoping that I don't back out at the last minute. Veronica is standing in the middle of the field watching her surroundings. Happiness is what I feel at this moment. It broke my heart when I saw her walk into class, she looked like she hadn't been sleeping good, and she just looked sad. Whatever is happening between her and brother I hope she'll be able to tell me but if she doesn't, I'm not going to push it out of here. Just being able to be by her makes me happy.

Placing the blanket down, I take a seat. Veronica turns around and makes her way towards me, she sits down on the blanket and leans back on the palms of her hands.

"So I brought you here for a reason," I say looking down at my hands. "I think it's best to finally tell you everything about me." I look up and see her brown eyes staring right back at me. She nods her head for me to continue.

"I never told you I had an older sister."

"Had?" She questions.

"Yeah." I clear my throat. "Her name was Marisela and she was my best friend. She meant everything to me. I would tell her all my secrets and she would tell me hers. We would always hang out all the time. Unfortunately, she passed three years ago." I mutter the last part quietly. This is harder than I thought.

"Mateo you don't have to te-"

"No," I cut her off. "It's for the best, it'll help me move on."

I look at the sun down in front of us trying to not let the tears fall. Suddenly, her warm hand intertwines with mine. I look up and she has a small smile on her face. She squeezes my hand for support and I take a deep breath so I can continue.