37. Marisela

Today is the day

Today is the day. The day I finally go into Marisela's room. I can't wait anymore. Everyday that I pass I'm more tempted to go in.

Everything has changed now. I've slowly started moving on. She isn't a distant memory, she will always and forever be in my heart.

If I were able to bring her back, I would in a heartbeat.

When everything first happened, I thought I wouldn't be the same. I never thought I would be happy again, my whole heart was taken away from me. But it changed once Veronica came into the picture.

I like to believe that Marisela sent Veronica to me. I know she watches over me, and I am forever grateful.

Standing in front of her room, I take a deep breath. My hands are shaking slightly, sweat is starting to form on my forehead, and my nerves seem to be jumping everywhere.

I can do this, I can do this. Chanting this to myself will help. I clench and unclench my fist trying to shake the nerves out.

The good thing is I'm the only one at the house. It's just up to me to go in. Taking another deep breath, I take a step towards the door and put my hand on the handle.

Turn it Mateo.

My thoughts keep telling me to go but my body isn't cooperating. Tears started to form in my eyes. Fuck. I can't, I can't. I let go of the door handle and put my hands in my hair.

"Fuck!" I yell out and start going down stairs. I can't hold back the tears anymore, so I just let them go. It was supposed to be easy. I'm ready, or at least I feel like I am.

Not even thinking, I pull out my phone from my pocket and dial Veronica. My breathing is fast as ever, my vision is blurry, and I'm shaking so much.

The phone begins to ring and I place it in my ear. It feels like forever before she finally answers.

"Hello?" Her sweet voice asks and more tears form in my eyes.

"Veronica," I manage to breathe out.

"Mateo? What's wrong, are you okay?"

"N-No. Can you c-come over?" I squeeze my eyes shut trying to calm myself down. I can't. I can't be by myself right now. Shit this is worse than I thought.

"I'm on my way. Stay on the phone okay my love," just hearing her voice calms me down more, but I don't calm down completely.

The whole time she's on her way she's talking to me. But I can't seem to talk back. I just hum in agreement trying to stop myself from shaking. It feels like the world is crumbling around me like I'm just becoming smaller and smaller.

"I'm here, open the door," I get up instantly and march towards the door. I pull it open and see Veronica standing there with a worried look.

She meets my eyes and immediately pulls me into her warm embrace. She rubs my back gently as I sob onto her shoulder. I can't keep holding everything in. It just makes everything else.