Epilogue

Six months later

Six months later...

Everything has been great, living with Mateo is everything I wanted.

There isn't a moment that passes where we aren't in each other's arms. Well obviously when we're at work but you get what I mean. Mateo is working full time with his Dad at the mechanic shop and I'm working with Mom at the flower boutique.

Today I took the day off since I haven't been feeling good. I'm not sure if it's something I ate or if I caught the Flu but, I have not been feeling good at all.

There is a thought in my mind that I keep avoiding because it might not be true. Pregnancy.

Everytime we have sex we use protection. But I've heard stories where the condom breaks and they end up getting pregnant. I'm not saying I wouldn't want to get pregnant. Trust me I do. But I don't know what Mateo would think.

When we got the apartment, Alison gave Mateo and I a gift basket and to our surprise. There was a pregnancy test. It was funny at the time but now, I'm debating if I should take it.

Standing up from the couch, I walk towards our room and open the closet. The top shelf in the closet is where the pregnancy test is, I reach up on my tip toes and grab. I walk out the closet and walk into the bathroom connected to our room.

I open up the box and take out the pregnancy test. Here goes nothing.

After peeing on the stick, I set it faced down on the sink. Waiting three minutes feels like a long time. A bunch of thoughts come into my head. What if I am pregnant and Mateo doesn't want the baby? What am I gonna do?

The timer on my phone goes off and I stand up from the toilet. This is it. If I'm pregnant...well I'm pregnant. Releasing a deep breath, I pick up the stick and turn it around. My bottom lip begins to wiggle as I look at the results.

Positive.

I look at myself in the mirror and wipe my eyes. It's okay Veronica. You're fine. I tell myself this and take a deep breath in. Maybe it was just a false positive. I should take another one.

The wait is even worse the second time. I can't stop bouncing my leg, my finger keeps tapping against my knee. It's scary honestly. When the timer goes off I don't hesitate to pick up the stick and look at it immediately.

Positive.

Okay. Okay, so I'm pregnant. That's that. How am I gonna tell Mateo? Do I just say it or? This is crazy, I just can't think right now.

I always pictured myself having kids when I grew up but I mean I'm still young. Obviously this baby is going to stay in my life, she or he is a part of my life now. This is just another new chapter of my life I'm ready to conquer.

Mateo doesn't get home till later so now I have time to figure out how to tell him.

~

"Veronica, I'm home." Mateo yells out from the living room as I lay in our bed. I can hear his footsteps get closer and closer as he walks towards our room. He opens the door and I sit up.

"It's so fun to say that now," he jumps onto the bed and I send him a small smile. It's hard to not make it obvious that something is wrong. I still don't know how to tell him after a couple hours of trying to think. I haven't called Mom or Alison, he deserves to know first.

"Are you still feeling sick?" His hand rubs my thigh softly and I nod.

"Yeah." Is all I said.

"Are you sure Veronica? You look like there's something wrong." I should just tell him. Just go for it.

"Umm actually, I know what's wrong." I run a hand through my hair. I'm trying my best to not cry but I know I'm not gonna be able to hold them back. Tears gather up in my eyes, I look up and huff out some air.

"You're scaring me V," I can feel him sit up beside me and he places a hack on my back. "What's wrong sweetheart?"

"I don't know how to say this," my voice shakes. This is harder than I thought. Just let it out Veronica.

"I'm pregnant."

His hand movements on my back stop, I turn to look at the wall and continue crying. "Are you serious V?" He asks in a soft voice and I nod. His strong arms wrap around me and I quietly cry into his chest.

"Oh my gosh." Mateo says and I look up at him. He looks down at me with a huge grin to the point where his eyes are squinting. "We're pregnant!" We both begin to laugh. The only thing is, my laughter turns into tears again.

"Awe it's okay V. We're going to be together every step of the way." His shirt is soaked with my tears. This is a lot to take in, a lot. But he's right, we are going to be together for these upcoming nine months.

"Sorry for crying," I wipe my eyes with the back of my hands and laugh a little. "It's just a lot to take in.

"It is a lot to take in. But can you believe we're about to start our family," he lays me on my back and grabs the bottom of my shirt. He lifts up my shirt just until it doesn't cover my stomach. Mateo moves down until his face is by my stomach and I have a feeling I know what he's about to do.

"I'm very excited to meet you little guy." He whispers and kisses my stomach lightly.

"How would you know it's a boy?" I raise a brow at him and he shrugs his shoulders.

"My intuition," he replies nonchalantly. My hand sits on my stomach and his is right on top of mine. We stay like that for a movement, no words are shared between us. Just sitting in silence, enjoying each other's company, and realizing that we're going to be parents soon.

"I love you Mateo," I break the silence and look down at him. He looks up at me with an excited smile. This is a big moment for the both of us. All I know is that this baby is going to be loved a lot.

"I love you Veronica," he kisses my stomach again and starts to laugh.

"What's funny?" I ask.

"Baby Hernandez. I like how that sounds."

THE END

~~~~~~

"The Other Side Of The Lens" is finally complete!! This is such a surreal moment, I cried so much writing these final chapters. I have received a lot of love and support from many people I met online. A lot of  my friends have supported me through this journey! There will be bonus chapters! Thank you so much for following Veronica and Mateo's journey! They are both characters I will hold close to my heart from now until forever. Thank you so much for reading! I love you!<33

- kjocelyn81