Bonus Chapter: Oh Baby!

It's four in the morning and we are on our way to the hospital

It's four in the morning and we are on our way to the hospital. I can't lie and say I'm not nervous, I've been wanting to meet little Santiago ever since Veronica told me we were pregnant.

"Okay are you sure we have everything? Never mind I was in charge of putting everything in the truck. I'm sure I did. Are you okay? Do you need-"

"Mateo! Just drive to the hospital!" Veronica yells out beside me, she holds her stomach and tries to control her breathing.

Her water broke and I woke up in a panic. These past few nights I haven't been sleeping well. I'm always making sure she and the baby are okay. She's been tired too, I mean I can't even imagine how it feels.

Pulling into the hospital, I stop the truck in front of the ER doors. I turn off the truck right away and run towards Veronica's side. Her stomach is big as ever as she wears a loose white long sleeve.

She grabs hold of my shoulder and I grab her other hand so she can step off the truck carefully. She wobbles to the door, her right arm clutches my form arm while the other holds her stomach.

The automatic door opens and we're met with cold air. The lady at the front rushes over to us with a wheelchair already in hand. Veronica attempts to send her a smile but stops once she feels a contraction again.

"Oh dear! Let's get you to a room." She lets go of the chair once it's behind us and goes to Veronica's other side and gently grabs her arm. We both gently sit Veronica down on the wheelchair and the nurse begins to lead us to a room.

By the time we get to the room, Veronica's contractions are getting closer apart. She takes deep breaths like the book told her too. She's been reading a lot of pregnancy books, she even gets me to read them.

When we get to the room, it feels like all the information I read to prepare myself, disappears.

~

"That deep breaths love." I brush Veronica's hair back from her sticky forehead as the nurses hold up her legs. We've been pushing for almost ten minutes but Baby Santiago isn't coming out.

"You got this, you can make it happen love. Soon we'll-"

"Mateo! Shut up!" Veronica yells out. She's heaving out air and is not in the mood. She's cried a bunch of times which is understandable.

I turn to look at the nurses and they all send me a small smile. I turned back to Veronica to see her looking up and breathing in and out threw her lips. Tears flow down the side of her face and her chest is living up and down.

"Okay one more big push." The doctor says and nods her head for encouragement. Veronica shakes her head and lets out a sob.

"I can't! It hurts, I can't!"

Brushing some more hair out of her face again, I lean down and kiss her forehead. If I could switch places with her and be the one in pain, I would do it in a heartbeat.