46. New Beginnings

Graduation

Graduation.

Today is the day where I walk the stage. Everyone is sitting down wearing their blue cap and gowns, every nerve in my body is bouncing around. Mateo and the rest of the group spread out in front of me due to our last names. My eyes look up at all the people watching us from the seats. Mom and Dad are sitting in the middle section, Christopher couldn't come since he doesn't do that good around big groups of people.

Before I left the house, he told me that he's proud of me and how happy he is that we started talking again. Everything just feels so surreal, it feels like I was just a Freshman in highschool. It's crazy to think that after this my life officially begins, well at least I think of it that way.

My attention drops back onto the stage when I hear someone tap the microphone.  Our principal is standing there with a smile on his face.

"Good Afternoon everyone and welcome to the class of 2020 graduation ceremony."

Everyone began to clap and after that, I zoned out on whatever else he said. His speech lasted for a couple minutes until he said, "Now time for our Valedictorian." My head focuses on the girl walking up the stage. Why am I so focused on the girl? Well because Alison is this year's Valedictorian.

She's worked so hard to keep her grades up and maintain a good GPA, I'm really proud of her. Ever since I met her, she's tried her best in everything she does. She isn't the type to give up and move on, if she messes up, it only pushes her more. There's not a day where a smile isn't on her face.

"Good Afternoon fellow classmates, parents, grandparents, cousins, and whoever is here on this special day." A smile is on her face as she talks into the microphone. At least twelve cords rest on her shoulders and she looks proudly at everyone in front of her. She looks back down at the binder and takes a deep breath.

"Being completely honest, writing this speech was very difficult. There were many things I wanted to write down on this piece of paper, but I wrote down the most important things. Coming into high school, I was scared. It was a different setting, new people, new teachers, everything was new in general."

I have to agree with her on that, everything was new.

"Each year I spent worrying about grades, community service hours, and my GPA. It wasn't until Senior year where I really had a true high school experience. There was laughter, tears, and even more emotions I can talk about all day. I would like to thank all of the staff members that helped us have a great experience through these four years. I am forever grateful for the life lessons each of my teachers have taught me.

I'm not going to sugar coat this next part, there were moments where it felt like my walls were crumbling down. But I had a supportive group of friends and family that helped me push through. All of us had our moments where we felt stressed, whether it was trying to complete an assignment on time or watching the football team play at the state finals. There wasn't a dull moment throughout this year.