33. Reuben's Car

"Behind you dumbass!" Alejandro yells at Adam

"Don't yell at me I know what to grab!" Adam walks towards the tire in the back.

"Please shut up and fix the tire Ale. Adam pay more attention," I tell them both and open the hood of my truck. Dad told me to bring the guys to the shop today. Since football season is over for Adam and soccer season starts for Alejandro when we get back. We have nothing to do.

Veronica said she was gonna hang out with Alison which is fine. I mean we hang out a lot and she had told me when we first started dating that she needs to have her personal time with Alison. She also said that I should have some personal time with Adam and Ale.

"So how is everything? I feel like we haven't hung out like this in a while," Adam says while rolling the tire to Alejandro.

"Well for me everything has been great. Alison and I are doing great, coach said that there are some scouts from UOC who are coming to see us play this season. I'm hoping they give me a scholarship. Ali wants to go there and we don't want to do long distance." Alejandro began to put the tire onto his car. I'm positive those scouts are going to give Ale a scholarship, he's a really good soccer player.

"What about you Adam? Didn't you say scouts already talked to you?" I ask Adam as I check if my truck needs any changes.

"Oh yeah," I look up from the truck and see Adam fidgeting his hands. Mmm he's never nervous. "I'm in between Colorado or California. It's just hard to decide." Now that he says that, I haven't really thought about what I want to do. Veronica asked me once what I wanted to do after high school, but when she asked, I wasn't in the right mindset.

I want to go to school, trust me I want to. It's just...I don't know. Maybe it's best to wait a year. I feel like I still need to move on. Marisela is still constantly on my mind. Well obviously she's going to be but it's hard. I've been trying each day to go into her room and just look. Three years is long enough, it's just difficult.

"What about you Mateo? Have you looked into any schools?" Ale stands up from his crouched position and grabs a rag to clean his fingers.

"Umm I honestly don't know. I know I want to go but I sort of want to take a gap year," I tell them truthfully. Adam raises his brows and tilts his head to the side. Alejandro just nods his head.

"Well either way you know Alejandro and I are supportive. Have you told Vero?" Adam stands up and walks over to where I'm at. I take a deep breath and think about what to tell them.

Clearing my throat, I close the hood of my truck and lean against it. "No we haven't talked about it. How did you and Ali talk about it?" I nod my head towards Alejandro. Shit, if he was able to do it then I can do it. It shouldn't be that hard.

"Alison was the one that brought it up. She already has all the schools planned out so she told me what she wanted and I listened. She really wants to go to California though, so she's hoping the scouts give me a scholarship. My advice is to just talk to Veronica truthfully. Tell her what you want and listen to what she wants."