CHAPTER-4

The entire haveli was filled with an eerie silence

The entire haveli was filled with an eerie silence. Maira's rejection of Ayaan's proposal had caught everyone off guard, leaving them in shock and disbelief. It was a well-known fact among the family members that they had always envisioned Maira and Ayaan getting married and carrying on the family legacy. Her mother was particularly devastated and found it hard to come to terms with her daughter's decision.

However, while the family was reeling from the unexpected turn of events, Ayaan seemed to be the only one at ease. He felt as though a tremendous weight had been lifted off his shoulders. For him, the finality of Maira's decision meant that he could now openly pursue someone he had been harboring feelings for over the last few years – Inaaya. It was a revelation that had him grinning from ear to ear.

Time continued to pass, and a week had already elapsed. Nevertheless, Maira still found herself experiencing strong emotions whenever she was in Ayaan's presence. She couldn't help but notice the way his eyes lit up when he spoke to Inaaya, which felt like a dagger piercing her heart. To avoid experiencing this pain, she resorted to avoiding Ayaan, barely coming in front of him or engaging in any conversation

Tonight was a pivotal moment for Ayaan as he geared himself up to discuss his feelings for Inaaya with his parents. Knocking on their bedroom door, he entered to find his parents seated on their bed.

"I need to talk to you both," he began, nervously.

"Go ahead," his baba said, his voice stern.

"Baba, I have strong feelings for a girl, and I want to marry her," Ayaan said, feeling the weight of the moment.

"Who is she?" his mother inquired.

"Inaaya. She and I went to college together, and I've liked her for quite some time now," he replied.

"Very well. We will visit her home on Friday and present the proposal," his mother said with a smile.

Ayaan breathed a sigh of relief, feeling grateful that his parents had agreed to his wishes.

As fate would have it, Maira overheard their conversation, and a wave of sadness washed over her. Nevertheless, she put on a brave face, tears rolling down her cheeks. She went to her room and opened her laptop to find that she had been accepted into an MBA program at a foreign university, putting a small smile on her face.

"Alhamdulillah. Now I can go away from here. I'll make my parents proud." she said to herself.

The following week, Ayaan's parents visited Inaaya's house, presenting their proposal. In just two short weeks, the nikaah was scheduled to take place. Maira, still feeling sad about losing her first love, was nonetheless happy that Ayaan had found his happiness. She smiled sadly to herself, knowing that his well-being was what mattered the most.

Eshaal asked Maira who was looking at the rain from the window,"Api how can you smile even after you lost him?" Maira replies, "Woh mujhse door hokar khush hain toh rehne do use. Mujhe chahat se zyada uski muskurahat pasand hain."

"But still how can you be so strong? If I was in your place I don't know what I would do."

"Ab me usse khush bhi naa dekhoon toh mohabbat kaisi." Maira looked at her with a sad smile.Eshaal hugged her tightely.

"Mere begair kya chal raha hein yaha?" They both looked at the person. Haniya joined in the conversation, having overheard their earlier conversation. "I heard what you both were talking about that day. I know you love him, and I am proud of you. However, you should have opened up to me," she said reassuringly.

Maira apologized, feeling guilty about not having shared her feelings with someone earlier. Haniya consoled her by saying, "It's alright. What you did was in the best interest of both of you."

Maira made one final request of Haniya, pleading, "Please don't mention this to anyone, not even Faizan bhai. Please, I beg you."

Overwhelmed with emotion, Haniya agreed and left Maira's room. The young woman smiled gratefully, realizing that she had true allies in her family who respected her decisions and supported her through thick and thin.

Author's note:
I am sorry for updating after so many days. I was stuck in some family problems. Thank you for reading. Please vote and comment. Please do. Thank you so much again.