Nine

Note: Nine- the beginning of the end. A countdown. 

The markets of Jedha were quiet compared to what they once where. The occupation by the empire slowly suffocating the once bustling and multicultural city. Stormtroopers patrolled the streets and the market stalls had lost all their marvellous wares, reduced to only selling common basics that had yet to be confiscated by the government. A far cry from the colourful and laughter filled place the older population talked about. Lian didn't remember very much about how Jedha used to be. All his memories being of a toddler's view of blurry colours and loud voices and sharp smells. It had been both overwhelming and almost something from his dreams. (Sometimes Lian thought that those memories were all a dream. The occupation had started when he was five and those nightmares stayed longer than the dreams).  

That day, the day that started it all for him and later the day that everything ended, began with the market. Lian had risen that morning with the sun, as usual. He had dressed in his robes of black and red. The material tied in a familiar way only achieved after long practise. His hair was finally growing back from the shaved head he'd had as a guardian in training and it was sticking up as sort of black fluff that he had no idea what to do with. The ceremony marking him as an official Guardian of the Whills had been a few months ago and he was still growing used to the fact that he was no longer a disciple. It had been a hurried affair. The usual rites of passage having to be altered slightly to fit in with their new reigning powers. But Lian had made it. The first new monk of the force temple of Jedha in twenty years.

He joined the other monks in the main temple hall for morning meditation. There were five others. All men twenty years Lian's senior. Master Bali was so old that he shook as he walked and he dozed off during meditation sessions. His long white hair was tied back in a braid and he sat cross legged on the cushion. Already Lian could hear him staring to snore. At his side was Master Kebbie, a Twi'lek with red tinged skin. He didn't speak much and didn't acknowledge Lian's presence as he sat down on the empty cushion between him and Master Sami. Sami winked at him and Lian smiled slightly as he crossed his legs. The man had greying blonde hair and a long beard with beads. "Morning", he whispered.

Lian nodded back as a second voice murmured. "I am one with the force and the force is with me". Chirrut stared at them unseeing with his cloudy eyes but his tone was teasing. Behind him Blaze lurked. The man not joining the meditation in favour for cleaning out his guns. Lian closed his eyes and let the familiar words rest on his shoulders as he began to meditate. I am one with the force and the force is with me.

After meditation was over they shared out their meagre foods. The empire had been limiting the foods given to the civilians and soon they would have to venture out into the market for new supplies. It was usually Chirrut's job as the blind man was often seen as less of threat. "You should go with him Lian", master Bali spoke up in his high trembling voice. He wheezed slightly and blinked at him with his dark eyes. Eyes that always seemed to see more than Lian could guess. "We should let the young mind in our midst do more".

Lian's eyes widened. "If you are sure".

"Bring your staff", Chirrut voiced. Next to him Blaze slurped his soup noisily.

"Yes. Saw Gerrera has been rumoured to have caught a defector pilot. The troopers will be looking for them, best to be armed", Sami coughed. He hacked heavily and Kebbie reached over to pound him on the back until he fell silent. Lian nodded and slurped his soup. Illness was rife in the city. Too much poverty and no money for medicine.

"Are you sure I am to accompany you then?" Lian asked. "I am still struggling with my light bow".

Blaze snorted and Chirrut smiled teasingly. "As masterful you have become in hand to hand combat, accurate with a gun you are not". Lian huffed at the teasing of his mentors. "Come anyway", Chirrut nodded. "The force wills it". There was no arguing after that.

The three of them set off after they had cleaned up breakfast. Blaze lead the way. Chirrut and Lian walking slightly behind him. The temple where they lived was just below the slopes of the hill top city. It had been plundered for kyber crystals back during the first year of the occupation. Many of the monks had been shot down for attempting to protect the sacred sites and after that many more had left until it was just the six of them. Only Baze had come back.

Lian wrapped his robes more tightly around him to ward off the dry winds and the sharp grains of sand. Jedha was a dry and chilly desert. In the summer it would grow hot and hazy with heat but for most of the year, other than monsoon season, it was dry and cold. The sand was a deep golden red that he'd heard was pretty unique to moon. The market was loud of course, with droid and street children running between legs but there was a undertone of fear and anxiety within the people. Chirrut and Blaze left the actual nagging for food with Lian while they set up a small begging corner on the edge of the street. Blaze disappearing into the crowd while Chirrut sat down with his small wooden bowl for any offering to the temple. (There hadn't been any offerings in months and no one came to the temple anymore).

"Go and look around", Chirrut waved at Lian. "Take in the sights. I'll be here".

"You mean go and do all the actual work we came here for", Lian huffed.

Chirrut chuckled. "Yes. You're young. The shop sellers take pity on a young and handsome face". Lian rolled his eyes and shouldered his sack as he began to use his staff to clear a way through the crowds. When he turned back Chirrut was talking to a woman with brown hair.

Unedited