Twelve

Luke met them in the hanger to wish them goodbye. The blonde lingering hesitantly on the ramp as he watched Lian and Bodhi pack away the last of their supplies. The scarf was pulled up tight around Lian's face and his short black hair was sticking up with behead. Luke watched as he reached up to place boxes of ration bars in a cupboard high above him. The young man had to stretch up on tip toes, limbs not as long as Bodhi's. The movement exposed a sliver of skin over his abdomen where the black shirt had ridden up. Luke could see the tie of the red skirt over his hips, the long material reaching down to the man's ankles. A belt hanging loose at an angle and the shadow of muscle behind the golden tinged skin.

He knew that the material used to be apart of Lian's original monk robes. The fact that he had sewn it in an effort to salvage what remained of his culture was something that Luke found warming. It was easy to picture Lian curled in a corner with a needle and thread, diligently sewing his and Bodhi's clothes. Luke still kept the white tunic he had worn those months ago when he had left Tatooine. It was stained and more of a pale grey than the white it had been, but it was still there in his pack. Material soft from wear and still reminding him of the farm, of what had once been his home. Maybe, he thought, one day he will ask Lian to sew it into something for him. That sounded nice, having it as something close. Like the scarf around Lian's neck. More fabric salvaged and repurposed. 

"Would you like a hand with that?" He stepped forwards as Lian reached down for another box.

The brown eyes turned to him and crinkled over the red fabric in a smile. Bodhi looked up from where he was crouched in front of a panel of wires, obviously doing one last maintenance check. "I'm not sure how you can help. You're shorter than he is". The statement was teasing and matched with a smirk. Luke pulled a face at him for pointing that out. He could still help. 

Lian's shoulder trembled with hidden laughter and he rose with a calming gesture. Whole body projecting gratefulness for the offer but he was fine. Luke felt it in the force and huffed. "You sure you don't need some help?" Lian shook his head, eyes lit with visible amusement. Then he gestured at another box near the ramp and pointed towards the hatch to the lower levels where they had put the bunks. Luke perked up and eagerly reached for the box. 

The box, unlike the others, was wooden compared to the metal. It was a cheap wood that Luke recognised as the standard boxes that acted as storage in the resistance dorms. It had no lid and he couldn't help himself peering inside and seeing rolled up fabric and various other belongings.  The box was not very big and it wasn't even full, everything inside having been things that Luin had collected since leaving Jedha. Luke was once again struck by a sense of similarity. He too had left his planet with nothing but the clothes on his back and with nothing to return to.

"You can put that under the second bunk", Bodhi waved a hand. "My stuff is already down there". 

"I take it to mean that you guys are going to be living on the ship full time now", Luke said as he hefted the box up higher. Bodhi nodded despite facing the hatch. He slammed it shut with a bang and stood up to stretch. 

"Lian. Just give that here", He sighed as he walked over to help his friend. He took the box out of Lian's hands and lifted it up into the cupboard easily. Lian scowled at him, expression clear over his scarf. Luke sniggered at the expression as he passed. Bodhi ruffled Lian's hair, not helping the bedhead look. "Yeah", he answered Luke's statement. "Thought they could use the extra beds since the ship is now back together".  

Luke nodded and turned to climb down the hatch. It involved some manoeuvring with the box but he managed it. The storage hull had changed since he had seen it. Two bunks were in each corner, each with drawers underneath. The bunk nearest the wall that divided the room from the engine already had a box resting on the mattress. Bodhi's box was much more full that Lian's. Luke could see various tools sticking out over the edge. He set the box on the empty bunk behind the ladder near the fresher and climbed back up.

 When he reappeared in the hull the few other boxes of supplies had disappeared. Lian was waiting for him, scarf pulled down to his chin and face on display. "I guess we're ready to go", Bodhi declared with a deep breath. There was a slight anxiety in his frame and Luke could feel a mirroring jittering of nerves in the air. The long haired man waved a hand at the ladder up to the cockpit. "I'll just go and let them know. See you later Luke". 

"May the force be with you", Luke nodded back. He reached out a hand and Bodhi clasped it for a second as he walked passed. Then he let go and was climbing up the metal rungs. Luke turned to Lian. The asian male smiled as Luke stepped closer. He didn't seem as anxious as Bodhi, instead he was calm. 

"I suppose I'll be seeing you in a week or so", the blonde offered. "I'll keep meditating. The words help". 

Lian nodded with a small fond smile. When he spoke, the words were soft and quiet. "Be good". 

Luke grinned. "I am always good. Just ask Leia". Lian rolled his eyes but the smile tugged wider. 

"May the force be with you". 

"And also with you", Luke replied. "Be safe". 

Lian nodded and reached out only for his hand to hesitate between them. Luke stepped closer and lifted his own arms. They wrapped around the other body and pulled him in close for a hug. Lian stiffened in surprise as Luke rested his chin on his shoulder. It took a second then Lian was relaxing into the hold, arms wrapping around the blonde's waist and holding him with a loose but firm grip. Lian was taller than him but it didn't affect the way they seemed to fit together. The force singing as they relaxed into the warmth of touch. 

The hug lasted longer, too many seconds for friends. When they pulled away, it was with soft smiles. Lian let his hand linger on Luke's shoulder before the blonde pulled away. "See you later", he waved as he stepped down the landing ramp. Lian lifted his hand in a wave back as Luke stepped off. Then he was climbing up the ladder to join Bodhi. 

Luke walked over to where the Falcon was parked. Han stepping out to meet him, dressed and rubbing the oil form his hands. "You okay kid?" the older man greeted. 

"Yeah. I was just saying goodbye to Lian and Bodhi". Across the Hanger, people moved as the ramp to Rogue One lifted shut and the engines powered on. Han squinted over at it as the ship lifted off the ground. 

"They have done a good job on her. When they get back I wonder if Bodhi will let me get a look at her motivator. Sounds like a beaut". 

"Him", Luke corrected absently as the ship soared out of the hanger doors and up into the clear sky. "They call it a him". 

"They both call it a him? Oh", Han's face lit up in understanding. He grinned and nudged Luke with his elbow. "So how was your goodbye, loverboy?" 

"Shut up", Luke scowled. Han cackled. 

unedited