Seven

Luke returned to the ex-imperial shuttle the next afternoon. The sun was high over the jungle that day and it seemed to bring some cheer to the rebels. The cheer could have also been to do with the new cargo shipments arriving that morning. The canteen had been running low on certain foods and everyone was sick of eating just ration bars. Despite being specially designed to fulfil a body's nutritional needs, they were bland and boring. The availability of food definitely raised morale. Luke could see it in the pilots faces as he walked through the hanger. Nodding to greetings and flashing back a grin.

Bodhi was standing outside as he approached the Rogue one. He was back in his Orange rebel pilot jumpsuit, the top tied round his waist and a black tshirt underneath. He had a cup of what Luke guessed was caf in his hand and was talking, surprisingly, to Han. The two looked up as Luke approached. "Luke", Han swung an arm over his shoulders as he joined them. "I was just trying to talk this guy here into letting me have a cup of whatever he was drinking". Luke sniffed. Now that he was closer he could smell the tantalising wife of sugar and spices in the air. It made his mouth water.

Bodhi pushed his goggles further up his head. His hair tied back in its usual ponytail. "It's spiced Caf", he stated. "A common drink back in Jedha. The new supplies included some spices that the cafeteria doesn't know what to do with. Lian snatched them up and has been cooking all morning". As if to punctuate his words, a breeze through the open hanger doors brought more smells of spice and sugar from inside the ship. Luke watched as Bodhi inhaled deeply, a wave of nostalgia and grief mixing with the force. Suddenly it dawned on him that he was smelling jedhan food. Food from a nearly extinct culture. Luke swallowed, unsure of what to say.

Han didn't seem to have that problem. Maybe he had forgotten what had happened to Jedha, or he just didn't notice the way Bodhi was clutching his cup. "Smells delicious. So, willing to share?"

Bodhi blinked, then paused. He glanced at the battered exterior of Rogue one. The ship still imperial grey and smudged with black scorch marks. He looked Han and Luke over again then smirked slightly. He seemed less nervous now. "Sure. If you can handle the spice. Don't cry to us if your mouth burns". He turned and headed up the ramp. Han and Luke following.

The inside was a lot different to the outside. A booth and table had been fitted into a corner and there was a open hatch to the lower level where Luke assumed there was beds. A ladder on the wall led up to the cockpit. Lian was seated on the floor with a three different small portable stoves out in front of him. The space littered with spice packets and ingredients. Mismatched cutlery and plates and round bean filled cushions. Lian was crossed legged on one cushion. His black robe had been taken off in the humid heat and he was in a vest and his red skirt. His matching scarf wrapped around his neck and face as usual. He looked up and Luke watched the deep honey brown eyes spark at their presence. His arms and exposed skin were lightly tanned gold and littered in small childhood scars. He stood as they approached and Luke could see him properly. The lack of layers allowed him to see the length of his limbs. Lian looked like he had been a gangly teen who had finally started to grow into his long limbs.

"They wanted to try the food", Bodhi announced as he sat down cross legged on one of the cushions. Lian waved a hand at the other cushions and Luke took that as a signal. He choose the one on Lian's other side and sat down. The smell of spices was much stronger inside. It made Luke's head spin. He had never smelt something like this. Tatooine had never been the centre of good cooking.

Lian nodded and stirred a thick green bubbling mixture. Luke saw lumps moving as the food spun in the pot, what he guessed were vegetables and meat. "Is that green curry?" Han asked. "I had that once from a jedhan street vendor on a trip to the outer rim. It's deceptive but goddamn good".

"You haven't tasted it until you've tried lian's version", Bodhi grinned. "The monks at the temple were very good cooks. I remember once durning a monsoon ceremony"- he cut off as a flash of pain crossed his face. He paled and Lian jerked his head up. Bodhi swallowed. "Anyway", he changed the subject. "This is Lian. He doesn't like talking to strangers".

"Han", Han nodded. "Names Han Solo. My ship is the your neighbour to your right". Lian nodded back and resumed stirring the pot. A silence descended on them for a bit before Luke spoke up.

"So you'll teach me?" He prompted. Lian looked up and met his gaze. Eyes dark and sharp over his scarf. He nodded and turned to Bodhi.

Bodhi seemed to have recovered from his moment. He smiled slightly at Lian, taking the other man's hand and squeezing it. Luke wondered what their relationship was. They were too close to be just friends. "He will", Bodhi reassured. "Just not yet. I can't keep talking for him. Just stick around long enough to until he's comfortable with talking to you".

"Okay. I can do that", Luke smiled brightly. Lian's ears turned rosey and his eyes crinkled. Luke guessed that beneath the scarf, he was smiling back. The knowledge made him his chest feel light.

"How long does that take?" Han asked. His question not necessarily rude, just curious. "You know our names, so we are no longer strangers". He made sense.

Bodhi shrugged and handed Lian a couple of bowls. "Don't know. It took me a couple of weeks to get him to talk to me when we first met as children. Jyn and Cassian", he paused at the names but continued. "They only took a day but that was very circumstantial. It's all up to Lian really". Lian held out bowls of green curry to Luke and Han silently.

Luke took it and thanked him. Lian's ears true s pink again and he picked up some mugs, filling it with the spiced Caf Bodhi was drinking earlier. He handed them out and Luke took a sip. It was amazing. Warm and spicy with a sweetness to it that diluted any fiery burn. He sighed in bliss. "This is amazing. This is the best thing over ever tasted".

"You were right", Han added. "This is better then that street vendor's". Lian's eyes glittered at the praise. Luke watched as the man turned away from them and raised part of his scarf to drink from his own mug. He caught a flash of red skin as the material moved. Then the scarf was back in place and Liam was gesturing to the bowls in their laps.

"Try the curry", Bodhi grinned, his own spoon halfway to his lips. Luke stuffed a spoon into his mouth, brain still lingering on the way Lian's eyes had glittered with pleasure. Then he turned red and gasped.

"Hot! Hot!"

Bodhi and Lian laughed. Lian's laugh was a deep breathy noise. It was quiet, almost drowned out by Bodhi's cackles. Despite the pain in his mouth, Luke found it bearable if he could hear that sound again. Lian laughed like he had spent years keeping it silent. It was weighted down and surprisingly soft. Luke grappled for the cup of water as Lian handed it over, watching the eyes crinkle. It was the dark haired boy's own cup. Half full and half drunk. Lian giggling as he downed it. Probably unaware what the action of giving water from your own cup meant in tatooine. Luke felt his own face blush. Something hanging between them like the curling comfort of the force. Unseen by the others.

Unedited