Chapter 59

After what felt like forever, Amy stopped crying. She was leaning against Bryan's chest while staring into nothing.

"Tell me what happened" Bryan said, breaking the silence. He gently stroked her arm to encourage her.

Amy breathed deeply, lifting her head from his chest to sit properly.

"He left the city because of me... I tried to talk him out of it, but his mind was already made up" Amy quietly explained.

"He stayed back all these years just to be close to me and I didn't even notice"

Bryan listened to Amy with a heavy heart. She looked so lost while explaining everything, making him feel guilty. He should've just let her go the first time. None of this would've happened if he hadn't listened to her tearful pleas.

"So, what do you want?" He couldn't help but ask. He wanted to know what was really on her mind because he couldn't quite tell, but she seemed conflicted.

"I was just starting to know him better, Bryan.." her voice was shaky, indicating that she was about to cry again.

"I lost a good friend" she concluded, sniffing back her tears.

"Amy.." Bryan began, after giving all of this some thought.

"You know that no matter what happens, I'll always love you"

"Don't say that, Bryan. That was the same thing Kyle said before leaving... I don't think I'll make it if you leave me"

Bryan didn't say a word after that. He wanted to make her happy. He wanted to give her the freedom she deserved. All of this was messing with his head, as he has no idea what she truly wants.

"Give him some time, he'll come around" he eventually said, to make her feel better.

"You think so?" Amy mumbled with a frown.

"I know so"

Bryan's reply brought a smile to Amy's face. She snaked her arms around his right arm, leaning her head on his shoulder. Hearing the man she loves say everything was going to be alright made her feel at peace with herself. She was willing to wait until Kyle was ready to talk.

Bryan saw this as an opportunity to fulfill the promise he made to Paula.

"My love"

"Hmmm?"

"You feel better now?" He asked to make sure she was in the right mood to talk.

"Yeah" she quietly replied.

"Henry is worried about you.." he decided to begin with his best friend, to prevent a misunderstanding.

"I know. I feel so guilty for acting the way I did"

"... And so is Paula" he decided to chip in.

"Oh" was Amy's only response.

"Princess, Paula is your mother. You can't treat her like she means nothing to you... You both have a special bond that cannot be broken"

"She should've thought about that before trying to tear us apart"

"She did that because she has your best interest at heart" he tried to explain.

"Why do you always do this?" Amy angrily asked, standing up from the bed.

"Do what?" Bryan cluelessly asked. He had no idea what Amy was talking about.

"Why do you always take my parents side when there's an issue?"

"I'm not taking anyone's side. I'm only telling you the truth"

"My own mother hit me, Bryan. Was that also in my best interest?"

"She didn't mean to do that"

"Oh really.. because you were there" she said sarcastically.

"That's enough, Amy!"

Bryan has had enough of Amy's stubbornness. She needed her mother but she was too proud to admit it.

"I just want to make things better between the two of you, because I know how much you miss your mom and you little brother"

Amy hated to admit it, but Bryan was right. She misses her mom and the intimate conversations they used to have. She also misses her baby brother, who she hasn't seen in a while.

"But if you don't want that, I won't force you to do otherwise"

Bryan was angry, Amy could tell. She won't be able to bear it a second time if Bryan remains angry at her.

"Babe, I-"

"I already made preparations for a one week trip to Paris, since you always wanted to go there, but I think this isn't the right time" Bryan stood up from Amy's bed and pretended like he was leaving the room. This is the only way he can get Amy to do what he wants.

"Bryan, please don't go... I'm sorry. I've been awful of late, but please don't cancel the trip" Amy pleaded, as she ran to him, to stop him from leaving her bedroom.

"We'll go on that trip.."

Amy sighed in relief, giving him a peck on his cheek.

"... Only if you apologize to Paula, and try to eat something"

She frowned at his conditions, especially the first one. But truth be told, she sincerely wanted to reconcile with her mom, but had no idea how to go about it.

"I'll do it, only if you feed me" she tried to give her own condition.

"Paula will have to be the one to do that. I don't want Henry to get suspicious"

Bryan was smart, she'll give him that.

"Okay" she muttered.

"Are you ready to face your parents?" He then asked.

Amy contemplated for a minute before deciding to go for it.

"I love you" Bryan kissed her on her forehead and took her hand.

"I love you more" she replied, placing a quick kiss on his lips.

Bryan was glad he could take that sadness off Amy's face, even though it seemed impossible at first.

  Amy apologized to her mom and dad for her behavior and for getting them worried, especially her mom, whom she said some nasty things to during their heated argument.

Paula was beyond happy to have her daughter back. She thanked Bryan for his help and made sure Amy had something to eat that night before going home to her husband and son.

Bryan also then said goodbye to Henry and his daughter, who didn't want him to leave at first, until he made a promise that he was going to come check on her the next day.