Chapter 3 - Red Lotus

Ink's POV (Age 11)

I sat in front of the fish pond, quietly meditating.

The koi fish swam aimlessly in circles. However, I was slightly sad because I hadn't seen the little partnerless koi in awhile.

  My eyes moved down to the katana that rested on the ground. I rubbed my thumb against the symbol of our clan, two circling koi fish.

'My clan has always believed koi fish to be more sacred than other clans did. So much that we made them our symbol.'

  The sounding of footsteps pulled me from my thoughts. Then, someone appeared next to me which I immediately recognized as Metallic.

Me: How's mother?

Metallic: Her sickness has gotten worse.

  He sighed, his voice was shaking. I pulled him into a hug.

Metallic: She requested to see you.

  I nodded as I stood up, grabbing my katana in the process. Before I could walk away, my little brother called out to me.

Metallic: Ink.

Me: Yes?

Metallic: Do you think... do you think mother will live?

  I thought for a second.

Me: I can't guarantee anything.

  I sadly said with a quiet voice. I walked down the mud path to my home.

  After stopping at the shoji door, I hesitated. Eventually my hand slid it open and I walked into the house.

  I moved down a hallway and turned, entering a room.

  In the middle of the room was my mother. She was sitting on a mat while playing a shakuhachi. Suddenly, she stopped.

Mother: Hello Ink.

Me: Mother.

  I said as I bent down in respect. She patted a spot next to her, telling me to sit down.

Mother: Do you have your shakuhachi?

Me: Always.

Mother: I want to teach one last song.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ink's POV (Age 18)

  I thought to myself as I rode Sora through the village. It has been five years since my mother died of an incurable disease. After she passed, Sora was handed down to me and now, he was my closest companion next to my brother.

My horse slowly stepped through the walls of my village. Looking up, I saw children playing kemari. They laughed as they kicked the ball into the air, trying to keep it from touching the ground.

A smile appeared on my face as I passed them. Women walked along the mug trails, carrying baskets of herbs, vegetables, and rice. Some men trained to be warriors and other men worked.

Suddenly a young woman ran up to me, causing me to stop in my tracks. She bowed before talking.

Woman: My lord, your brother is waiting for you under the red tree.

Me: Oh, thank you for letting me know.

She bowed again and then walked off. I squeezed the sides of Sora, causing him to walk faster.

After traveling down a hill, I saw the tall red tree in the distance and the circle of logs that I had spent years training in.

Looking out at the river, was my seventeen year old brother. Unlike my brown kimono, he wore a grey one. The clothing matched the sharp blade of his katana.

Me: You wanted to see me, Metallic?

Metallic turned around, a tiny smile on his face. I walked up to him before tightly hugging him.

Metallic: How was your trip to the Lyn Clan?

Me: It was okay. I ran into someone I think you might like.

Metallic: Really?

I nodded.

Metallic: What about you? Have you found someone for yourself?

Me: No. I can't find anyone that is interesting enough to my liking.

  I stared at the river for a few seconds, listening to the sounds it made.

  I remembered that I was here for a reason.

Me: You need something? You requested me.

Metallic: Oh yes. Do you want to have a duel since you're back from your trip?

  A smile appeared on his lips which made me smile in return. I nodded before walking to a certain spot of the circle. My brother went to the opposite side.

Me: Are you sure you want to do this? You know I have always won when we dueled together.

Metallic: You may be better with a katana however, I feel that I might win this time.

Me: We will see about that.

  My brother unsheathed his sword and pointed the blade at me. My hand gripped my sheath, ready to fight.

(Time Skip)

Metallic: How do you always win?

He said while catching his breath. I sheathed my katana, not feeling breathless at all.

Me: I'm good with a sword.

I responded with a childish smile. Metallic lightly pushed me in return which I found funny.

  About an hour later, we arrived home. I slid open the door and walked in.

  However, something was wrong. There was water on the wooden floor. There also seemed to be footprints in the clear liquid. It trailed to the ladder that led to the upper level.

  My hand subconsciously went to my sheathed katana just in case. My brother followed after me.

Metallic: Do you think it's a kappa, Ink?

Me: I do not know. Steel yourself.

  Metallic pulled out his weapon after following my orders.

  We climbed up the ladder and went where the water went.

Metallic: It leads to your room.

  I stopped just before the doorway, silently pulling out my katana.

Then, I decided to enter my room. My eyes widened when I saw that no one was here. The tracks stopped and my window was open.

  My eyes noticed something was also added to the room.

  Centered on my bed was a small...

Red lotus flower