Through The Dark Halls

This entire house was just one big maze. I swear, it really was bigger on the inside than it was on the outside. How could there be this many rooms in what looked like a regular-sized house?

It was almost as if this house was a whole new dimension in itself. Never-ending and always expanding. At least that's what it felt like to me as my kidnapper chased me through the hallways.

How exactly I managed to not get caught and snatched by him yet is beyond me. All I knew is that he was directly behind me and somehow I was evading his grasp.

It had to be all the adrenalin pumping through me. And the will to get out of this alive. He had probably played this game so many times with so many other innocent and unsuspecting people.

This was my first time at this game though. This was my first time running and fighting not only for my life but for the lives of my friends. And I had just lost one of my players. I might have unknowingly already lost more, even before Jacob. He had said they had all been alive, but what if he was wrong? He was wrong about the tunnels after all!

I could not help but cry out as I took a sharp corner. Narrowly missing getting grabbed by Gunner's large bear-like paws. He did not take the corner as well as I did though and slid into the wall behind me.

Even though he was back on my trail not even a full second later, it still offered me a foot or two more of room in between us. I recognized the living room we were now in. It was where I was tied up on the couch before he took me into the dining room to feed me.

Maybe I could lose him around there, loop around those two rooms, and head down the hall he took me down before. I must be a mad woman thinking I could lose a madman in his own house. I had to try though, or else I was as good as dead. And with as many times as I have disobeyed him, I don't think that he thought that I was a good girl anymore.

With my heart beating so harshly behind my ribs and my breath feeling as hot as fire from all of the adrenaline, I skidded into the kitchen and through the dining room. Only barely noticing that the table had been cleaned.

I grabbed one of the wooden chairs and without hesitation swiveled around and slammed the wood furniture on my pressure. Gritting my teeth as I put all of my strength into the swing.

The wood splintered and cracked as it smashed to pieces over him. He only had a second to raise his arms in defense, otherwise, I would have gotten a lucky hit to the head.

With the chair now useless and with no time to pick up one of the broken pieces, I turned back around and down the dark hallway. I did not spare a glance behind me. I only knew that it was a few more seconds until the footsteps started after me again. I rounded another corner and wasted no more time before throwing myself into the room that I was tied in before.

I nestled myself in the space right behind the door, bringing my hands up and covering my mouth to keep me silent. I did not touch the door though since it was already open, and if I closed it then I would give myself away.

I sent all of my willpower down to my chest. Praying to it mentally to slow down. I was certain the people at the foot of the mountain could hear it right now.

I heard the footsteps slow down as they turned the corner, stopping completely as my silent pursuer tried to figure out where I went. Hiding did not work the last time, I just had to hope that it would work this time.

When the footsteps started up again, I moved my hands to cover my nose as well as my mouth. trying to keep any and all sounds from escaping that he might hear.

I heard him huff angrily and I almost had a heart attack as he moved into the room. His hand pushing the door slightly, and it was a miracle that it did not bump into me.