Opening The Journal

A/N: Brief mention of rape

" Y/N... I found the trapdoor." Mila spoke up behind me. I could hear the anxiety in her voice just as much as I felt the fear running through my own veins. Turning my blood to ice and freezing my body stiff.

I actually did not process what she had said at first. I was too overwhelmed by the terror of the situation to move or even think. All I could think of was that we were doomed.

He's going to catch us. The voice in my head whimpered. He's going to gut us alive just like Jacob! He's going to feed us to his dogs! He might not even kill us first!!

" Y/N please!" Mila's quiet and scratchy voice begged. "Let's go before he finds us." She cried. I heard her start trying to pull on the metal latch.

I suddenly took in a sharp intake of breath. What the Fuck was I doing?! I was about to get the both of us killed is what I was doing! Just for a little extra push I smacked my right cheek with the palm of my hand and turned around.

Mila was on her hands and knees before the trapdoor. Tugging on the large black handle with what little strength she had left. I did not know if it was locked, or if she could just not get it open.

I hurried over next to her, getting down onto my knees as well and grabbing onto the iron ring. It was big enough that the both of us could grab it at the same time.

Together we hefted it, and it came open with relative ease. The wood crackled slightly, and I could hear the dirt specs falling from it to the ground below. It was dark down there, even darker than the hallways. When we got down there we would need to navigate by touch.

Once open a blast of cool air blew over us, bringing with it the musty smell of dust mixed in with the deep rich smell of solid earth. It almost smelled like a cave.

" Go on Mila, You first, take this, we're going to need it." I urged her, handing her the sharp stick. Grabbing onto her shirt on the back of her shoulders and pushing her to the edge where she rocked dangerously. I continued to grip onto her shirt in case she fell. I had no idea how big of a jump it would be but if Jacob got through it then it could not be too big.

With her arms on the rims, she slowly swung her legs over and into the darkness. Hoisting herself over and letting herself drop. I let go of her shirt as she landed on her feet, but without much strength, she stumbled and fell down onto her belly.

I could still see her, so the drop was safe. Without wasting any more time I gently slid myself off of the edge as well. Looping my arm awkwardly over the edge of the hatch and making sure it closed behind me.

I had to strain my hands, fingers, and feet into the walls of the tunnel so that I could slowly lower myself down and make sure the hatch did not slam and alert our pursuer. I growled behind gritted teeth as I push my hands so harshly against the walls it felt like the skin and muscles in my wrists were going to tear.

The hatch door closed above us quietly with success and I almost dropped the rest of the way down. To not give away our position though I strained for a little longer until I was at the bottom with Mila

The soil underneath us was freezing and felt slightly moist. It stuck to us easily as if it had been recently disturbed. Further providing evidence that someone had recently been crawling through here.

The deep earthy smell was now so intense that it almost seemed like I had gotten some of the dirt in my nose or my mouth. I could practically taste it even with my mouth closed.

Feeling around with my hands, I felt Mila a little bit to the side in front of me. With the latch closed above us, it was practically pitch black. We could not stay here though. If Gunner opened the latch and found us just sitting here then we were screwed. In this place, you could not stay still for long.