The Written Words

I was drifting in and out of sleep all night long, or maybe longer. I could not really tell how much time had passed since Lucas had escaped and I was trapped here.

It was dark every time I opened my eyes. giving the illusion of an eternal night. When sleep took me it felt as if I had gotten no rest at all. My eyes had been just as heavy as when they had closed.

My leg burned. It was always noticeably hotter than the rest of my body. I had no idea what was happening to me. whenever I looked at it it looked just fine.

Yeah, it was red, but it was also healing and cauterized so it was going to be red. Otherwise, it had no other sign of onsetting infection.

was I really falling ill? or was it all in my head? could that even happen? Could my whole body feel like it was fighting off infection just because I although that's what was happening?

The cat was next to me for most of my slumber. when I would crack my eyes open she would be laying next to me usually by my side, or my head. Her paws tucked in underneath her neatly, and almost in a polite manner.

I never knew when Gunner was in and out. He was too quiet, and I was too messed up to really notice. Whenever I was awake I was never awake for long. When I needed to eat or take care of other things he would take me out of the room long enough for that.

As soon as I was back in the bed though I was gone faster than a light flicking off. Sometimes I was out before he had even gotten me back on the bed.

Mostly my dreams were absent, and I was unaware of anything until my eyes opened for a minute, only to close again a moment later. The dreams that did come by were not wanted.

Nightmares are what they were, nothing else. They all consisted of Gunner or his dogs killing me in some way shape or form. This latest one I think was me waking up to the cat scratching my eyes out before the dogs came bursting in and started tearing me apart.

Waking up from that dream made me almost fall off the bed. The cat next to me mowed in a dissatisfied way as the blanket she was on slipped around a little.

I panted as I got my bearings and figured out where I was. I was even hotter than before and I really did feel like I was under a high fever.

It took a moment to realize that I had been crying in my sleep, and still was crying now. The tears dripped down my face and onto the blanket below me with a little putter patter sound.

sniffling, I wipe my eyes and face with the back of my hands. When I was able to blink the blurriness away I was finally able to realize that I could see better than usual.

it was not almost pitch black. light filtered in from a boarded-up window, enough to light the room up in a dim, mostly gray aura.

The fluffy white cat stood up and took a few steps closer to me. kneading the blanket against my outer thigh while purring contently. I reached down and ran a hand through her fur as she laid down really. she mowed before closing her eyes in contentedness.

It always surprised me just how well taken care of she was. her fur felt like wool and there was not a single snag or knot anywhere. I could run my fingers completely through without any hair being pulled.

she was completely free of any dirt on her fur too. whether or not she did it all herself, or it was Gunner I did not know. It's just that this is the last place I'd expect to find such an ethereal creature.

I looked up from the purring beast and searched the room with my eyes. There was no sign of the leering man anywhere. The door was closed and other than the cat, the house was completely quiet.