Realizations

"Edward, please come back!" I begged as I called him later that evening. I was pacing around trying to calm my nerves for my date, but they multiplied because I was worried sick about my brother! My phone felt like a weight in my hand. "Lilly, I'm sorry-" he started but I interrupted him. "Don't give me that!" I took a deep angry breath and tried to calm down, "You promised we would never be separated, and from what I see you're about to break that promise." I was so angry with him I was seeing red. For the past hundred years I worried about being separated from my brother, because we weren't able to say goodbye to our parents. I didn't want to lose Edward.
"I know I promised you, but things are complicated right now," he told me with sadness. I took a sharp breath that sounded like a hiss, "So you're going to abandon your sister over some girl whose blood you smelled, because if that's the case then-" I was too angry to finish my sentence, and I hung up and sat down on a nearby couch with my head in my hands.
Who knew at one hundred and six years old that one could feel this much stress? I took deep breaths to calm down, even though I had no heartbeat I could still feel nervous.
Esme could sense my stress and she sat down next to me on the couch. "Are you alright, Lilly?" "Not really, I am worried about Edward and Rose won't stop giving me grief over my date tonight," I confided in her.
Her gold eyes showed sympathy and she put her arm around me in a hug, "I'm sorry, Rosalie just doesn't want you to go through what she went through. She wished that she had a sister to protect her, and that's why she's so protective of you." her words both touched and confused me. "Then why doesn't she tell me that?" I asked.
"She doesn't like to show her soft side, she has one, but she doesn't like to show it," my mother explained.

I shrugged, "I don't get her," "And as for Edward, we don't know what's going on, before he left he called Carlisle and said he was going to Alaska for a few days, and he wasn't sure if he was coming back," Esme told me. "I know, but why is he not wanting to come back?" "I don't know, dear, he's the one who can read minds, not me." she looked at me with sadness.

"I hope he'll reconsider," I hung onto the hope that he would. "Well, try not to worry about that right now, go and have fun on your date. Riley seems like a nice young man," she smiled encouragingly.

"Thanks Esme," I hugged her. Alice came slipping into the room like she always did when something she found interesting was about to happen. "Have the best time on your date!" she hugged me excitedly. "Thanks Alice," I hugged my sister back. "Make sure you keep your hand accessible in the movie theater when he holds your hand," she advised. I grinned, because I knew she saw the future, "I'll keep that in mind."