Chapter 74

The night before their departure, all Celine could think of was their kiss. She heaved a sigh, wondering what Hala would say if she found out what had transpired a few nights ago.

In truth, Celine was aware that everyone wished for their union. Celine also knew that Akihiko was the only competent man she would ever consider dating in this world. Akihiko's moral beliefs aligned with Celine's and they were very compatible together. In fact, from the moment they met again in the night market, there were no traces of the young Second Prince left. Despite her constant denial, she knew that Zayden was now a full grown man who could never be seen as a younger brother again. At first, Akihiko had been threatening and dangerous even.  However, ever since his first marriage proposal to Celine, she had unknowingly been caught up in his games. She hated to admit it, but the emperor's recent collapse had hit her like a rock as she realized what he truly meant to her.

It was a strange feeling, for she didn't think there was much growing left to do since she was mentally old. Overtime, Celine's heart had slowly healed and given her a chance to live normally again. Her usual numbness had slowly disappeared, and she found life to be full of vivacity. The budding feelings for another person had flourished like a flower within her heart.

After spacing out for so long, Celine felt lost in her own feelings. She wanted to empty her mind and contemplate what these newfound emotions would mean, so she called for Draco and spent the rest of the afternoon at the top of her palace wing. 

The air in Krastia was much more humid and wet compared to the Zionitte Empire. The scenery was filled with trees and forests, a much more serene view to calm herself. The road ahead of her was filled with uncertainties, yet she was entertaining such romantic ideas.

Unfortunately, her time alone was cut short by the emperor himself.

Celine nearly lost her balance, but she was immediately embraced by Akihiko, who steadied her with one hand. She cursed herself for her moment of clumsiness and felt awkward, quickly trying to composing herself. 

"How are you here, your majesty?" She asked, not pulling herself away from his grasp nor shying away from his touch. She masked her embarrassed expression, although the faint blush on her cheeks were clearly visible. This further excited the emperor, who smiled sheepishly.

The moonlight was shedding celestial light onto their figures, a scene that she was all too familiar with.

"You had been avoiding me for many days. It was almost as if you were shy." He responded bluntly.

"Ahh, yes. . . It probably seemed that way. . . I had a lot on my mind." She laughed awkwardly, flinching as he seemed to move slightly closer.

"Is it because I did something wrong? Or are you ready to love me now?" He grinned, as if he already read all of Celine's thoughts.

She blushed slightly, her heart seeming to quicken its pace at the mention of love. She cursed herself for being aware of her own feelings, for Celine couldn't stop her cheeks from staining red. 

"If I asked you to marry me, would you say yes?" He looked at her earnestly, trying to push for a confirming answer.

"Y-your majesty, my answer is still the same. Even if I have feelings for the Emperor, I don't want the Empress' seat. I dream of a simple life, free from trivial drama or worries. I refuse to raise my children in such a stressful environment." Celine replied honestly.

"But do you love me?" He pressed on.

Celine only looked at him calmly, amazed by how brilliant his beauty shined under the moon. "I just began to return your feelings."