Chapter 35

Celine and the Crown Prince set their animosity aside and utilized their current resources to help alleviate the people's situation. Prince Laith ordered the escorts to create a mass-grave burial site for the dead and follow up on the people's funeral rituals. Celine implemented a list of safe measures to further prevent the spread of the disease.

(Because we are currently experiencing an epidemic outbreak, I think y'all know what kind of safe measures Celine is implementing.)

The rest of their afternoon was spent productively, as they had scavenged the capital to provide food for each person. Although their efforts today were only the beginning of a long road to recovery, Celine felt more relaxed as her guilt began to fade away. She was confident that the empire would recover fairly quickly and minimize the amount of deaths from this foreign disease.

After a while, the two took a break near a shack and sat quietly. Prince Laith sat with a sullen look plastered all over his face, and Celine could clearly see the self-resentment in his eyes. Because her anger had subsided, Celine's gaze towards Laith softened. Although Prince Laith had given all his strength towards his subjects, the guilt in his eyes hadn't disappeared.

"I never believed that I would be like my father, Celine."

He called her by the nickname he had given her as a child, although they had become strangers after 7 years apart. Her name sounded odd as it rolled off his tongue, and Celine became rather perplexed by his sudden, informal address.

He finally turned his focus towards Celine, and his innocent looking eyes drooped sadly like a lost puppy.

"I worked hard to be competent enough to lead the country well. I told myself I wouldn't be tyrannical and wanton like him. Now, I can see my father in me. What do I do, Celine... "

The prince believed that he would eventually become the evil father he had despised for so long. Such a psychological thought process would eventually take a negative toll on the Crown Prince's mental health.

They sat in sober silence while Celine listened to his soft cries. She sighed deeply and reluctantly offered words of comfort.

"You're nothing like the Emperor, and that's coming from me."

Prince Laith looked up in surprise and was met with an indifferent stare.

Celine continued on, ignoring his deep stares. "Logically speaking, you can inherit your parent's physical traits, but you can't inherit a personality trait. Because you didn't know that your people were suffering, you don't need to be too hard on yourself. Since you know what is happening now, you have the ability to change it from now on, and that's what matters the most. That's what we've been doing this entire afternoon anyways."

"Perhaps you are right... Maybe I am just disheartened. I didn't think my father would hide such a huge problem that could be detrimental to our empire." He shook his head and lowered his gaze. The prince was embarrassed by his vulnerable display and slightly blushed in shame.

Celine forgot that men of this era did not like to reveal their weaknesses, especially in front of women. She had always strived to openly communicate with the Second Prince and had little to no interaction with other men. Therefore, she tilted her head, puzzled by his present shyness. "Aside from this town, the outbreak hasn't spread very far. If we had arrived any later, it would have been too late."

The Prince paused, consumed by his deep thoughts. He seemed to be contemplating and reasoning with himself. Celine waited until he seemed to find words to speak with her. 

"You're right. Thank you, for everything Celine.. I feel as if I can breathe again." The prince ruffled his blonde hair, peeking at Celine to show his sincere gratitude. His smile had brightened, and his golden eyes were filled with a certain determination again.

Celine looked away.

They began to converse over what he should accomplish as a Crown Prince. As they reinvented the current health system and brainstormed ideas to help boost the economy again, Prince Laith's confidence gradually returned.

As the sun began to set, they decided to return to the palace. Prince Laith quietly observed Celine, as if seeing her in a new light.

"You have matured. You used to be an innocent, little maiden." He said, as if he was slightly saddened by her change.

"I was innocent, wasn't I." Celine laughed dryly. 

"Can I ask about your relationship with my brother?" He asked politely, with no trace of bitterness in his tone.

"You don't need to concern yourself with me, your highness. All you need to know is that I won't tarnish the royal family's reputation."

"I am assuming that he is someone special to you, especially since you even took him to our secret garden. I feel replaced." Although his tone hadn't changed, the words felt like a small jab.

Celine narrowed her eyes, yet she couldn't find any trace of emotions on his face.

Is he bothered? Why does he keep talking about her and the Second Prince?  

"Do you love him?" He continued to probe Celine.

"Yes. As I would a brother." Celine clarified her relationship with the Second Prince in order to avoid any needless misunderstanding, although the Crown Prince most likely didn't care. "The only person who is romantically involved with someone else is you, not me."

The secret garden also belongs to the Second Prince's mother. Celine didn't mention this fact, although she desperately wanted to correct his words.

The atmosphere around them became awkward. Celine was confused as to why the sudden dynamic between them felt odd and became irritated.

"Are you perhaps... bothered?" She asked. 

Prince Laith stared back incredulously and coughed by the sudden question.

"No.. As to why I haven't officially broken off our engagement.. I think that you will be troubled with countless marriage proposals if the public knows that you aren't engaged. I also need your father's backing since I am still gathering my supporters. It's beneficial for both of us to wait until I become Emperor." The Crown Prince continued to mumble on, until he eventually realized that the lady next to him had stopped listening.

Celine had already suspected that his motives were politically driven. If the emperor was reluctant to place Celine on the throne, he would definitely be outraged with Zavia as a fiancee candidate. The current emperor's erratic behavior was unpredictable and rather dangerous. If the Crown Prince announced their annulment, the emperor might order the Crown Prince to marry a foreign princess and even throw Celine into the harem. She shivered at the thought of this outcome, although she knew Draco would never allow this to come into fruition.

"I'm glad we are on the same page." She replied. "For now, I won't think about leaving the empire."

Somehow, they continued their conversation normally.

They became quite busy as soon as they returned to the palace. Prince Laith reformed the empire and prevented the outbreak from spreading any further. She sent out herbs and dispatched first aid while the Crown Prince increased food rations and instructed the people to practice proper hygiene. He had already begun to implement new economic laws, and only sped up the process upon his arrival.

Although they still seemed to be uncomfortable around each other, their relationship seemed to have improved in the eyes of others.