Chapter 22

Later in the evening, Celine decided to wear a simple, emerald gown to the ball. She thought it wasn't appropriate to appear flashy so she chose minimalistic, gold accessories to compliment her dress. She let her hair down and brushed it thoroughly for a sleek, straightened hairstyle. Then, Celine added darker colors to her eyelids to make herself appear more alluring and fancy.

Satisfied with her finished look, Celine sent her servants away and waited patiently for her escort. The Emperor had previously ordered the Crown Prince to escort her to the welcoming ball tonight. Unable to refuse, Laith reluctantly agreed.

After some time, Celine felt as if she had waited for too long. She finally became impatient.

Is he not going to escort me? Shouldn't he at least notify me in advance? Celine grew increasingly frustrated by his tardiness. She was also bewildered by his recent actions. She was sure that he was deliberately ignoring her and wanted nothing to do with her.

Did I mess up already? Why is he so cold to me already?

A servant announced the Crown Prince's presence, pulling Celine away from her thoughts.

"Lady Caelina Viliga. His majesty, the Crown Prince of the Great Zionitte Empire has arrived."

The doors to her chambers opened abruptly, and Laith stood in his royal attire. He seemed to hesitate before striding into her chambers with full confidence. Celine lowered her head and remained in this position.

"You may lift your head."

When their eyes met, the Crown Prince seemed to pause again as he took in her otherworldly beauty. She was like an emerald gem, shining with brilliance. Unfortunately, her rosy lips were slightly pointed downwards to indicate her frustration from his tardiness. 

"It has been a long time, your highness. Welcome back to Krastia." She finally smiled, and decided to closely observed his movements instead. 

At least you had the conscience to come.

Laith did not reply.

In fact, there was no hint of softness or warmth in his eyes. The distance between them seemed to have increased by ten folds, as if their past memories together was only a fever dream. The only evidence of their previously close relationship was the slight familiarity in Celine's gaze.

She understood the reasonings behind his estranged actions as well as this awkward situation. They had been far too young when Laith confessed his love for her in the past. Perhaps their relationship would've flourished if Laith had replied back to her letters during the past 7 years. Instead, they hadn't communicated since his departure. He had suffered the hardships of war while Celine was occupied with her business and newfound friendship with the Second Prince. Their personality had certainly changed during the past 7 years apart. Frankly speaking, Celine didn't know Laith anymore. 

She also considered the psychological phenomenon over an adult's inability to fully retrieve memories from early adolescents. She believed that there was a high probability of Laith forgetting most of their memories together, which explained why he lost his former attachment. Celine still remembered his words since she had been born into this world with the mind of an adult.

"You look well." The Crown prince finally nodded and seemed to mind his manners. 

"Thank you very much, your highness. Prince Laith also looks handsome as well."

Then, he lifted his hand, as if asking for her hand. Celine quickly held on to his outstretched hand as the Crown Prince guided her to the ballroom. The tense atmosphere made Celine feel awkward. She attempted to strike up a conversation and soon gave up after a series of failed attempts. 

Fine then, be awkward! Stay silent! She shifted her focus on the sound of her shoes against the marble floor, wondering why their walk seemed to take forever.

The pair finally approached the door to the banquet hall. As the servant eagerly announced their presence, she glanced at Laith and was taken aback to see him silently observing her already. She couldn't pinpoint the indescribable emotions displayed in his expression. She shrugged and looked away.

Their grand entrance silenced the ballroom. The soldiers shifted closer to examine their beloved leader's fiance, while foreign ambassadors wanted to see the Empire's most beautiful woman. The women were also entranced by the appearance of the charming Crown Prince, looking upon Celine with envy. It was clear that they suited each other very well in terms of looks, and the bright aura exuding from both of them was ethereal.

Celine was also stunned by the vast amount of people present. Men who had proven themselves worthy of a title during the war had been invited, regardless of rank. Zionitte's closest allies wanted to celebrate their prince's return, and the diversity added vivacity to the already loud ambience of a party. The event seemed rather informal as the nobles cheerfully welcomed their sons while soldiers celebrated their new titles.

The venue itself was a work of art. The interior design was heavily decorated with the finest decorations. The walls were plastered with rich, golden patterns and lined with priceless paintings and tapestries. Off to the corner of the banquet hall, there were tables displaying an array of exquisite delicacies. Musicians played their ancient instruments off to the other side. The center stage was filled with dancing and mingling bodies. This ambience made Celine feel rather comfortable and less tense.

The crowd bowed and lowered their heads as the Crown Prince led her down the cascading stairs. Each step was elegant and filled with grace. 

The crowd parted for them as they reached the venue. The music resumed, yet countless numbers of people still watched the couple make their way to the center. They wanted to witness their first dance together.