Chapter 40

Emperor Michaelis finally looked away from Celine and met the eyes of a terrifying monster. He began to tremble and scream, jumping away from the couch. The shock overwhelmed his senses and he fainted, falling back onto the couch with a thud.

Prince Zayden pushed past his brother and rushed to Celine. He retrieved the torn gown and wrapped the remaining fabric around her shoulders before tightly embracing her. He pulled her in for a longer hug, and when he finally released her, the warmth still lingered. 

She stared blankly as Zayden fussed over her, examining her body for any injuries. 

"Did you think this was a good idea?" Once he had ensured there were no physical injuries on Celine, he became angry. His voice prevailed a heavier tone filled with deep emotions. The apple of his cheeks reddened as he took in her disheveled appearance. "Do you have no respect for yourself? What were you even thinking?"

"Did Hala tell you?" Celine ignored his probing questions.

His entire face became inflamed with dismay. 

"That's not the problem here! What were you going to do just now? How can you willingly return here again after that night?" Pain swirled in his gold irises, and Celine was confused by his frustration.

"Nothing was going to happen. I have Draco." She drew her words slowly.

"Still, you could've handled the situation differently. You should've called for me." He whispered. He closed his eyes and grimaced. Prince Zayden didn't want to imagine what would've happened if he had been too late. "What if he touched you. . ."

Celine cupped his red cheeks, forcing him to face her. The two stared into each other's eyes, paying no attention to their surroundings. 

"I'm completely fine, okay? He can never do anything to me." She made sure to smile in order to reassure him. 

"Then why is your dress ripped apart!"

"It would be suspicious if I came out of his chambers untouched." She shrugged and avoided Zayden's scrutinizing stare, realizing how close they had been. She stepped away and called for her familiar.

"Draco!"

Draco, who had been cornering Prince Laith, spun around and shrunk in size. He disappeared into Celine's shadow.

"Your koi... It was a hideous beast just now." He was dazed by the sudden situation. Adding to the fact that his father had been assaulting Celine during his absence, he had also discovered how powerful her familiar was.

"He's not hideous. He's my familiar." She fastened her gaze on Draco with admiration. Then she sharpened her eyes towards the Crown Prince. "I would appreciate it if your highness could keep the happenings of this night a secret between us. When his majesty wakes up, he will most likely believe that he was delusional due to his drunken state. Because he believes he passed out; he probably won't have any recollection of my visit either."

". . . Has my father always been like this?" Prince Laith's voice was small, and his marvelous figure seemed to be shaking. He was distraught by his father's actions again, and Celine felt pity for him. 

How many times must I see your pitiful form? Celine sighed heavily.

"This is only the second time, so your highness doesn't need to look at me with those guilty eyes. You're not responsible for your father's sins. Although it would be nice if he stopped calling for me. . ." If you're truly guilty then do something about it. "Aren't you my 'fiancee'? Don't you have the power to stop the emperor? If not, when his majesty calls for me again; I'll take matters into my own hands."