Chapter 51

4 years later

Krastia's Imperial Palace was strategically constructed by the first emperor in order to incorporate landscape as a defense base, gain easier access to the ports, and stand gloriously near trade routes. The main palace was built from stone, residing near a densely forested mountain with high peaks. Many neighboring districts surrounded the palace, running lively markets and bi-monthly festivals.

Secluded in the mountainous region was a 3 story building with a hip and gable roof.  The building was particularly unique since it possessed western influence. The nearby villagers were not aware of its construction until it was fully built. Because most of the districts consisted of single storied buildings separated by narrow lanes, the locals believed that the mansion belonged to the aristocrats. Since the mountain range included thick vegetation and hot springs, the residents inside that mansion would surely be living in paradise.

The house was remotely built in the outskirts of the central capital, yet it was not too isolated from villagers. Soon enough, the residents came to know the owner of the house. It was Draco, the second richest man in the country, next to the Emperor of course. He was rumored to live with his younger sister, although the sister had never made a public appearance before.

Further away from the house were stone steps carved onto the side. These steps led to the heart of the mountain, where one could visit the hot springs and witness the scenic beauty of the high peaks. If a traveler strayed far from the path, they might even be lucky enough to catch a glimpse of a majestic creature.

****

A white, serpentine figure crawled underneath the highest cliffs in its most glorious form. A human would only make up less than a quarter of the dragon's head. The dragon broke through the misty mountains and reached a slender woman who took small steps towards the hot springs.

"Celine!"

A pair of twins caught up to the woman, pulling on her sleeves to receive her attention.

They were merely 10 years old, possessing similar Krastian features including black hair and almond shaped eyes. 

One of the twins was noticeably more confident than the other. This twin was a young girl named Ichika. Ichika pushed her brother, Eiji, to the side and held the woman's hand.

"Can Draco play with us?" She asked shyly, while Eiji furiously rubbed his arm in frustration.

"You guys want to fly again?" Celine raised her eyebrow, glancing at the creature roaming freely.

"Mmh!" The twins nodded in unison, eager to ride the dragon again.

"Perhaps Draco can give us a ride back to the house once we finish bathing in the hot springs." Celine considered their question, then continued to walk upwards.

"But we walk too far for a mere bath everyday! Why do we need to bathe again and again!" The twins complained very frequently, especially since the long walks often made their smaller legs sore.

"A clean person, will never get sick."

"But-"

"And a clean person showers once a day. Plus, the hot springs are rich with carbonates, which makes our skin feel soft and healthy." Celine smiled, and her skin was more radiant than when she first arrived in Krastia. The twins had also noticed that they were beginning to smell like her, which was a very pleasing change. Therefore, the twins could only agree and reluctantly trail behind her.

Celine laughed lightly at the sight of the pouting children. They deeply resembled her late husband, which slightly warmed her heart at the thought of him.