Chapter 10

Celine was exhausted after the meeting. She had never socialized this much since her last life.  She had carefully crafted an image of a shy maiden who was in love with the Crown Prince. It had been exhausting and stole most of her energy. If the women had closely observed Celine's face, they would've noticed that her smile didn't exactly reach her eyes. 

After assembling the products for each of the orders, Celine decided to take a break and rest  underneath the sakura tree in the Japanese-inspired pavilion. The pavilion she cherished was a gift from Emperor Michaelis I to Zayden's mother before she fell out of favor. The Emperor had gathered many gardeners to plant Krastian flowers such as hibiscus and sakura trees. The concubine became less homesick and looked after the flowers with great care. The fruits of her labor was evident because of how the abandoned garden remained lively and vibrant even after her death. Zayden had been surprised to see his mother's garden still blooming and flamboyance. That was because soon after her death, Celine diligently cared for the flowers in her stead. It was a touching story, and this pavilion became their haven. 

Celine sighed as she continued to recount what had transpired today. After chatting for a couple of hours, she had realized how shallow and materialistic they were. The women here were also completely dependent on men. Their goal in life was to please their husbands! It was disgusting and degrading.

As she was engrossed with her thoughts, she didn't notice Zayden's approaching figure until he finally spoke.

"Where's Draco." Zayden seated himself next to her, but froze for a split second when he saw Celine's dolled up face.

She immediately noticed his pause and snickered. "Oh my, are you surprised with how beautiful I look today? Do you like the makeup?" She batted her long eyelashes and closed the distance between them, giving him a flashy smile. Despite their close proximity, Zayden didn't pull back this time nor push her away like he used to. To Celine's amusement, he looked at her calmly and returned her smile with a smirk. Somehow, Celine felt offended and prepared for an incoming insult.

"You look like a rose." 

Taken aback by his rare compliment, the corner of her lips lifted upwards and she slightly raised one of her eyebrows. For the past two years, he had started to become more mischievous and playful around Celine, but he was usually a quiet and reserved person. In public, he was especially cold and curt. Zayden also didn't like to talk, and he usually never responded to her bold remarks. 

"Thanks Aki. It feels nice to finally be complimented by you for the first time. I am truly surprised." Celine returned to her original position and leaned against the tree. "Also, I sent Draco on a secret mission. He'll be gone for a long time."

"....." 

Zayden gave her an indifferent look, and took out a book to read. As he flipped through the pages, she observed him quietly. He was now 10 years old, and had grown slightly taller. Perhaps it was because Celine was still a child and hadn't fully developed visual acuity, but Zayden looked extremely attractive and adult-like. If she didn't have memories of her past life, she would've swooned from his appearance. His long hair covered his beautiful face, so Celine decided to braid it. 

She removed the silver hair-rings in his hair and created a half-up braided hairstyle. She braided random pieces of hair near his ears and hooked the rings back in. Celine took a step back and admired her work. He looked like a handsome, rogue pirate. Especially since he was dressed in black garments.

"Oh, that reminds me, since Draco is gone, can you teach me how to use a sword?" 

"No." 

"But I want to defend myself!! What if I'm in danger???" 

"Still no."

"Why?" Celine pouted in frustration. Wouldn't he master swordsmanship more quickly if he had a partner?

"You have me. You won't be in danger." Zayden hadn't even looked up from his book and continued to flip to the next page. Much to his annoyance, Celine snatched the book from his hands and slammed it shut. 

"Although I am grateful for your protection, you don't know what could happen! I don't have Draco right now so I am very vulnerable! What if you don't happen to be there when I'm in danger? Or I'm suddenly kidnapped? I won't be able to rely on you then. When I was talking to the noble women earlier today, I secretly judged them for being so dependent and weak. Then I realized, I'm weak too! I am good with self defense, but I can not win against a sword!" Celine lectured Zayden and continued to complain about her afternoon meeting. 

"Fine, I'll teach you, but only at night. If you dare utter a complaint or disobey my rules as a teacher, I won't instruct you anymore." 

"Ok, I will! Thank you Zayden!! You promise, right? You can't break it. I just need to know how to fight with a sword." 

"unnnn" 

Celine became very satisfied with his response and leaned back against the tree again.

Meanwhile, Zayden had only agreed so she could finally stop talking. 

They spent the rest of the afternoon in the pavilion until they started to feel cold. Although the desert wasn't too chilly during the winter, the temperature was almost freezing at night. 

In the evening, they were both tucked into Celine's warm blanket.

Celine was drifting off to sleep when Zayden asked, "Where did you send Draco?"

"To Krastia," Celine murmured, already half-asleep.

Zayden didn't believe Celine until he saw her serious expression. 

"Why?"

Celine never responded.

****

The next evening, Celine wore a loose fitted shirt and crossed an arched bridge to meet Zayden underneath their secret pavilion. This secluded area was a perfect spot for learning how to use a sword in secret. They had agreed to meet twice a week underneath the sakura tree until her training was complete. Celine was filled with high expectations, imagining herself as one of those beautiful, female warriors from the fantasy novels she had read before.

Zayden had arrived before her, and he wore a basic tunic with the braids still in his hair. He held a wooden sword in one arm and a real, sheathed sword in the other. Shining brilliantly underneath the fluorescent moon, Zayden appeared to be mystical and unworldly. Instead of smiling at her approaching figure, he stood with an unconcerned expression as he waited. He stood amongst the cherry blossom trees. The leaves on the trees were green because of the winter season. Celine looked forward to the spring. She wanted to watch the cherry blossoms bloom with Zayden.

"Today, I will teach you the basics of sword fighting, along with how to properly hold a sword or unsheathe one." 

Zayden explained the psychological aspects of becoming a sword master. A pupil must learn how to build awareness, confidence, and caution when facing an opponent. He described other principles in depth, and then finally started to begin training. Before Celine was allowed to touch the wooden sword, she needed to physically condition herself and build endurance.

Celine attentively listened, and realized that she was wholly unprepared. She deeply regretted her choice as Zayden listed off what exercises she would need to do. 

I don't want to run or exercise right now! I just want to know how to hold a sword and fend off any assassins! 

Celine didn't dare voice these opinions, and she suffered in silence during the entire training session. The next day, Celine could barely move her body without aching in excruciating pain.