Chapter 29

Zavia quickly reached out to grab the Crown Prince's hand in attempt to appease his anger. "Lady Caelina doesn't have to apologize to me. She has done nothing wrong and I have already forgiven everyone. Please let this go already."

Her actions seemed to worsen Celine's situation.

The concubine is graciously asking for Celine to be pardoned? Will the Crown Prince listen to Zavia?

Lady Yasna could not endure such a stab to her friend's reputation. From the floor, she wept with guilt and sorrow. She begged, "Your highness, the Lady Celine is innocent. She hasn't attended any social gatherings in many years. If anything, we were led astray due to her absence!"

Chaos ensued as the women defended Celine, who still held considerable power in the society still due to her blooming success in the makeup world. She greatly appreciated the women who stood up for her, and was satisfied upon seeing slowly changing future.

"It is Caelina's duty to lead the social gatherings as my fiancee. Her lack of attendance further proves my point. Did you not join these meetings because of your laziness, Caelina?" The Crown Prince was persistent. He truly wanted his fiancee to kneel before him.

Lady Yasna immediately regretted her choice of words and continued to cry helplessly.

Thankfully, Celine knew how to end such a tedious conversation. She did not want to reveal this secret until much later, yet she had no choice now. It even seemed as if Zayden would interfere soon. He had been fuming besides her as if he would call upon Red to burn this whole courtyard down any moment now.

"Your royal highness, the Crown Prince Laith of the Zionitte Empire." Celine addressed this stubborn man in front of her. "Why is their incompetence my fault? I have been contemplating your words thus far, and I am rather confused by your allegations. Since when was I given the task to lead the noblewomen?" Laith's eyes flashed and he lifted his arms up as if to stop her following sentence. "We're not actually eng-"

"Enough!" The Crown Prince roared like a lion and the entire garden seemed tremble below him.

I guess you truly don't want anyone to know that we are not officially engaged. Especially the woman you love with all of your heart.

Celine smirked in satisfaction as Zavia tilted her head in confusion. She watched as the Crown Prince stalked off while Zavia trailed closely behind him. The tension dissipated immediately once they left the garden.

Although Celine had saved the nobles just now, they avoided her. They believed that it was better to avoid the unfavored woman who couldn't capture the Crown Prince's heart. As the nobles slowly collected themselves, they fled the scene soon after.

Sir Vigos had arrived from Emperor Michaelis I's court room. He had been occupied by his work and was unable to attend the ceremony. He was deeply shocked to find Prince Zayden, Lady Celine, and his wife standing alone in the garden. Seeing his wife shaking form withered on the floor, his expression darkened.

"What happened?"

***

After the following incident, Zavia gained multiple political allies. She had graciously forgiven the people who had previously insulted her and garnered their support instead. They began to neglect Lady Yasna, the elite woman who had lead their social circle for many years. Lady Yasna reassured Celine that she was not bothered by this change in social status, yet she couldn't hide her gloomy mood from time to time.

"I'm more worried for you, Celine! Your image has completely shattered. They talk about how pathetic you are for not gaining the Prince's favor!" Yasna mimicked one of the ladies who had ridiculed her. "She is indeed a beauty, but what's the point when she couldn't even capture her fiance's heart?"