Chapter 13

After stargazing at the top of the dome with Celine every night, Zayden caught a cold. At first he assumed that his body temperature was increasingly warm due to his crush on Celine, but as he continued to neglect his own health, his symptoms worsened. When Celine noticed these symptoms, he became bedridden.

When his fever did not go down after a week, she completely abandoned her work and focused on treating Zayden.

His illness caused a stir amongst the nobles since children rarely recovered once they became sick. This world was behind in medicine, and humans could die from a mere cold. Celine also wasn't an expert in the field of medicine, so she resorted to home made remedies and basic self-care practice. 

First, she pressed a cool, wet cloth over his forehead and the back of his neck. She washed the rest of his body using a cold rag, while making sure he drank plenty of warm liquids. Back when Celine was sick in her past life, water with honey and lemon would immediately alleviate her sore throat. She forced Zayden to drink honey and lemon water everyday, while continuing to take care of him. She also closely examined the herbal medicine from royal practitioners and questioned its ingredients. There were only a few medications Celine approved of based on her past knowledge. 

While he was recovering, Celine wondered how he managed to live thus far. Since he had killed her in the original story, he had clearly survived the forest incident and the cold by himself.

But how? Did she accidentally change the story? Did Caelina help Zayden in the original story too? Maybe Caelina and the Second Prince were friends. But why would he kill her in the end? 

Although this was probably unlikely, it was still a possibility. Caelina could've been lonely in the palace while waiting for Laith's return and sought for the Second Prince to pass the time. The book wasn't as detailed about the characters anyways, and she knew humans did not possess a one-dimensional personality. 

Caelina is described as cold and heartless, but she probably wasn't always cruel and had her reasonings. Who wouldn't go crazy after watching their loved one fall for another person? What drove her mad with jealousy over an average woman? 

Celine pondered over these rhetorical questions, then ended her trail off thoughts to focus on Zayden. Despite Hala's objections, she held onto his hands and laid down beside him. Celine had a strong immune system due to her healthy habits. She also drank the honey and lemon water everyday. Even if she caught a cold, she could easily recover and handle herself.

Zayden's sleeping form was graceful and pure. His pale skin broke out into a cold sweat, and Celine immediately wiped it away.

His features truly are perfect in Korean standards, Celine mused. He looks like one of those cool, Japanese school boys from the shoujo mangas I read.

As Celine reminisced their time together, she was surprised to discover Zayden in most of her memories. Had she unknowingly become attached to the Second Prince?

Overtime, Zayden had somehow developed a mischievous personality that many people probably wouldn't be able to handle. He was clever and sly because he always managed to coax her into carrying out tasks for him, or letting him off easy when he committed any wrongdoings. Before she became overwhelmed with work, she would dry his hair every night, wake him up in the morning to braid it, and often clean up after him.

Despite his playful personality, he was kind and considerate. He didn't complain or ask for her often when she received many orders from customers. He even helped her mix formulas and organize the pile of products she produced.  He taught her swordsmanship and always waited for her. Although the Second Prince was mostly reserved and quiet, he had become a reliable person whom she could confide in and speak comfortably with. In some ways, Zayden was a reassuring figure in her life. Without him, she wouldn't have been as mentally strong and capable.

"Thank you for being a great friend, Zayden. I'm sorry I didn't take care of you well these past few months. Get better soon so we can make more memories together.. I promise I will try and spend more time with you." Celine whispered.

His eyes fluttered open as if he had heard her, and his small smile enraptured Celine.

"..Have you been taking care of me all this time?" He murmured, tightening his grip on her hands.

She nodded in response, still entranced by his beauty and gentle voice.

"...I knew it... I didn't have any bad dreams... I think it was because you were beside me... Thank you Celine." He fell back into a deep slumber.

She continued to wipe his sweat away, and massaged his hands until she also fell asleep.

Zayden made a full recovery within two months and eventually returned to his regular schedule. Celine opened up her schedule frequently to spend more time with him, just as she had promised. Thus, they became an inseparable pair.

****

Celine and Zayden attended a tea ceremony hosted by the court officials.

The court officials were aware of the fact that the Crown Prince's fiance had miraculously nursed the Second Prince back to good health. They especially invited Celine and Zayden to observe their relationship.

Does Caelina favor the Second Prince now? Will she switch sides? 

The nobles were curious and itching to ask these questions. In the future, they would also need to choose which faction to support. Although Celine and Laith were engaged, it was not an official promise written on papers. If Celine decided to support the Second Prince, the powerful backing from her father would switch over to Zayden and thus turn the tables.

As the gathering progressed smoothly, the questions that were initially polite morphed into more ambiguous inquiries encrypted with underlying meanings. They were attempting to catch Celine off guard and figure out whose side she was on. To their disappointment, she consistently answered vaguely and no one could predict what Celine was thinking. Zayden also remained silent and ignored any questions directed at him. 

Consequently, Celine became irritated towards the end of the meeting. She looked over and nearly choked on her drink. Zayden was falling asleep and trying desperately hard to keep his eyes open.

Ugh, why can't these idiots be straightforward and ask what they're actually curious about.

"I feel as if I've been answering too many questions. May I ask one in return?" Celine interrupted and abruptly cut off the incoming questions.

She proceeded to talk as they nodded curiously.

"I wonder if you want to be friends with the Second Prince or use him as a pawn to get rid of the Crown Prince?" Celine asked bluntly.

The current Emperor had shifted all of his responsibilities to the court officials. They acted as regent, especially Lady Yasna's husband, Sir Vigo. Sir Vigo had become increasingly greedy for more power. If the responsible Crown Prince returned, he would lose his power as regent. But if a weaker prince seized the throne with their help, surely he would become a puppet for them. If Celine also favored the Second Prince, their plan would most likely succeed.

Unfortunately, Celine did not want Zayden to be used as a puppet for their selfish desires.

The officials coughed in shock and slowly excused themselves, bringing the meeting to an end. Even Sir Vigo sensed her annoyance and left for the day. After all, they were thinking of treason and had become embarrassed.

It wasn't until they were finally alone in her chambers when Zayden finally expressed his thoughts.

"I was taken aback by the sudden question. Sometimes, even I think you're too much." Zayden chuckled.

She shrugged. "It was just a question. They were clearly trying to figure out why we are close to each other by asking an endless amount of annoying questions and beating around the bush. I like people who are blunt and straightforward."

Zayden smiled, and mentally took note of her preferences. "I always have fun with you no matter how boring the situation is."

"...."

In the future, Celine's liberal perspective and straightforward personality would rub off on Zayden.