Chapter 47

"What do you have to say for yourself, Celine."

After escorting Zavia to safety, the Crown Prince immediately marched back to Celine's chambers.

"I didn't touch her." Celine grit her teeth and crossed her arms. She was surprised by the Prince Laith's sudden aggressiveness, yet she didn't bother to contemplate why he was suddenly cold to her. "You are wrongfully confining me, Prince Laith. Will you be able to handle the repercussions of imprisoning a general's daughter?"

The two glowered at one another.

"Don't use General Viliga's name to clear your faults. I am already aware of your estranged relationship with him." He retorted.

Celine paused. If you knew that I wouldn't be politically useful, then why would you still want to be engaged with me? 

She remained silent, for she didn't care to hear the answer. Celine knew that the Crown Prince was biased and that their conversation wouldn't be very rational. She didn't bother to reply, since her opinions would most likely be ignored.

The Crown Prince's mind was a blank slate, with only one purpose in mind. Despite this mental state, he couldn't control the words that flew out of his mouth. He was unknowingly swamped with spiteful vehemence.

"Did you know I always loved you?" He seemed to wince in pain for a split second, yet the movement was too swift for Celine to think anything of it. Prince Laith spoke quickly, as if he only had limited time to speak. "I held you in my heart as I conquered Krastia. I found the ring you asked for, and I returned to the capital immediately to see you. I was looking forward to our reunion. 'How have you been? What troubled you while I was gone? What did you do everyday?' I wanted to ask you so many questions. But when I returned, you seemed to have opened your heart to another man. My brother." He addressed his brother with a detested look, and Celine gaped at his sudden confession. She was stunned, studying Laith's expression, which wasn't in line with the shocking words.

It seemed as if the Crown Prince received another headache, for he grunted slightly and massaged his temples before continuing.

"That's when I knew you never once loved me. The way you looked at him. . . Your smile was honest and filled with joy. I had never seen you smile like that. Did you know? Even as a child your heart was cold. You never told me how you sincerely felt; your smile stopped before it could begin to form. . . But I still loved you. Even now. . . I tried to give you a chance. I would've thrown her away if you even showed me a single ounce of emotion. . . How can you say that. . . The marriage. . How can. . . you break. . ." The words were stuck in his throat, and his expression looked as if his mind was at war.

Celine frowned at his stumbling words. "Do you still love me?"

He shook his head violently. The headache seemed to have washed away for a split second, and a rush of words automatically left his mouth.

"Zavia was the first person I chose of my own accord and will. Our engagement wasn't of our own choosing and I knew you never loved me. You were only trying to comfort me. You only pitied me. I gave her the jade ring because I love her now." Prince Laith stared at her numbly, his voice resolute. Despite Prince Laith's firm expression and discourteous tone, his eyes seemed to betray his emotions. "Know that, you betrayed me first. I will annul our engagement since the Emperor is sick, as you might have heard from the rumors." He paused before continuing. "You will depart tomorrow, and this will be the end for us."

Celine gaped at the prince, confused by his contradicting words and the facial expressions he had displayed just now. However, she couldn't analyze his speech, for she was still stuck on his confession and her banishment.