ⲤⲎⲀⲢⲦⲈꞄ 17

"LET ME PROTECT YOU FOR ONCE"

The time between twilight and dawn seemed to stumble past Milo's fingers like dust wandering along a lone pathway

The only physical aspect that explained the passing of time was the hands on the clock above his head like a ticking halo.

Milo stayed awake throughout the entire night, his eyes wide and unblinking.

His arms held Bonnie's body protectively, pressing her against his chest.

His heart rate hadn't slowed since Dr Medan showed up in his room.

Since the Gaurd 050174 was executed at his feet.

He looked down at the young woman as she slept, an essence of a frown echoed across her face.

Although it pained him to see her beautiful features distorted by stress, he was glad that her eyes hadn't met the same disturbing fate as his.

He was satisfied she didn't witness what he had that night.

That she hadn't felt the cold grasp of death reach out and tilt her face towards the deceiving light.

What if they were to return, their murderous intent more vile and malicious?

What if they planted cameras in the hidden corners of his room, watching his every move?

What if-

BEEP.

ALL INHABITANTS MUST PROCEED TO THE CENTRAL HALL.

BEEP.

The automatic announcement, shocked Milo out of his paranoid mentality, flinching as it ran up and down the halls, taunting him.

'Go outside Milo', his anxieties told him, 'Pursue the headless followers into your inevitable demise. You know you must.'

'Miloooo'

'Milo'

"Milo"

The young man snapped out of his daze at the sound of his name.

Bonnie stared up at him, worried etched across her face.

"You're hurting me"

Milo's eyes widened.

In the mists of his panicked thoughts, his grip on Bonnie had tightened to an uncomfortable degree.

"Shit, sorry", he apologised, releasing her immediately.

"It's okay", she whispered, studying his expressions, wondering what to do next.

Milo's eyes were bloodshot.