Chapter 8

Marinette

I very calmly stare at my phone, trying to figure out the best thing to do right now. We had gotten left at the hotel, because Caline had gotten sick from being pregnant. Thankfully, I made sure to tell Mr.Wayne this so he made arrangements for substitutes in case she got sick. 

But said substitute, believed Lila and gotten us left at the hotel. Marin looked ready to make a building blow while I simply stared at him, waiting for him to start thinking reasonably. He had finally calmed down and waited for me to say something. 

"So we can go straight to the Greenhouse, or we can go get breakfast, eat, and then go to the greenhouse." Marin thought for a second. "Well, they need your name for the tour right?" I nod. 
Yes they do as I won the contest." Marin didn't miss a beat. "Breakfast." 

I snorted but searched up all the restaurants near by. I chose a small cafe not to far from the hotel. We started on our way there and talked about the trip. He kept saying how he wished we got a different substitute. 

He was also a little upset that Nathaniel stayed but understood. Caline was his mother after all and I know that he would stay with her even if it was just a simple headache. Nathaniel really cared for her, she was lucky. 

He was also lucky to have a mother who cared for him. His father was an ex of Caline's and had gotten her pregnant, taking advantage of her when she was drunk because she was hurting badly. He didn't care when she told him she was pregnant and didn't want to help take care of Nathaniel. 

But she had taken him to court for child support and they had filled out document after document. He gave up any rights to Nathaniel and is no longer legally his parent. Biologically sure but that didn't mean anything. But he does have to send her $1500 every month so she can take care of Nath. 

This time she is pregnant, with the child of her fiancé, who has assured Nathaniel a million times, that he won't leave the unborn child and Caline. Nathaniel wants to make sure that his little sibling, grows up with both of their parents and feeling loved. 

Nathaniel has separation anxiety from growing up with Caline and her not being there a lot, because she had to work. And definite rough spot was when he was 6 and his father tried to force his way into his life. 

That caused a lot of fighting for 8 months, Caline not being there, his father barging into the house sometimes, and him hiding in the closet waiting for them to stop yelling. The first time his father barged Caline let him off with a warning, thinking that he wouldn't show up again. 

But it happened again about 2 weeks after and that was what caused all the fighting between Caline and his father. Nathaniel had watched from a closet and had hidden away. He had also been taken away from Caline and held with Social Services while Caline would go to court to settle everything. 

When they had finally managed to get everything settled, he was a little over 7. His father had finally been taken out of his life and things started getting better. Caline still couldn't be there for him a lot of the days but she would do her best. 

Then Nathaniel got enrolled in the school she taught at before she got her job at Francis DuPont. He would eat lunch with her everyday and when classes got out, he would spend the rest of the day in her classroom because she got special permission from the school board that allowed this. 

 He had been through quite a bit but he was still a good person. Though he's a closeted gay. Well mostly out in public. In private he has no problem showing he is gay. I like to tease him about crushing on Marc and he becomes a literal tomato. It was fun.