3.

I watched as the waves were beginning to make a mess on the beach. The entire island was now covered in pitch black darkness. I watched as Pope, Kie, and John B played cards. They kept laughing and chuckling at each other, enjoying each other's company. JJ hadn't spoken a word to me in hours, just sat on the other side of the room rolling joints for later. He took a long drag from his juul as I turned to face him. He felt my eyes on him and turned to look to me.

"At least take me out on date before undressing me, Rachel." He scoffed, licking the joint closed. His eyes stayed on me. "Don't worry, I'm sure everyone knows."

"Everyone knows what?" Kie pops up behind my shoulder.

"Nothing." I mutter.

"Do you guys wanna join us?" Pope looks over to me with concern in his eyes.

"No. I'm good. Maybe later." I got up to go sit by JJ.

"Alright, but you're missing out." John B finally spoke, he couldn't look me in the eyes still.

"I'm sure I am."

I sit in the chair beside JJ, all up in his personal space. I could feel his body tense up as the thunder cracked outside. The house was shaking a bit, but I knew that this happened often. We would be fine.

"Can I help you? I'm off the clock right now but my services start again in a few minutes." He gives me a quick look and back to the joints.

"Just thought you could use some company, is all." I laid my head on his shoulder, watching him at work.

"Can't stay away from me, huh?"

"I don't need you, JJ."

"Sure you don't. Can't even be away from me for less than a hour without falling to your knees." He shivers, making fun of me.

"I just wanna talk. What was that all about earlier?"

"What?"

"The whole fight and slamming the door in my face. I had a great time on the beach and you go and switch it up again. Am I doing something wrong?"

"You're fine, Rach. It's nothing."

"It didn't seem like nothing. Your whole attitude changed after we came inside."

"I just enjoy being around you, okay? You bring out the best in me."

"The best in you? You're already the most amazing person I know. You don't care what anyone says or does, you go with the flow, you have the best mentality."

"Well, shucks. You trying to butter me up again?" He turns his head to look down at me, his face once again inches from mine.

"No, you might not believe it but I care about you. You bring out the best in me too. You're my partner in crime." I reach for his hand and he flinches. "Yo, it's just me, baby." I mock him a bit, grabbing again.

"Did you just mock me?"

"Surprised you didn't mention the fact that I called you baby. But yes, yes I did. Now, let me hold your damn hand. You're ruining the moment here."

He wraps his fingers in mine and lays his head on top of mine. I sink into his chest. I heard the sound of raindrops on the window behind us, it was soothing. I wrapped my free arm around him, rolling over so my body was basically on his. I heard him let out a sigh of relief.

"No homo though." I heard him whisper.

"And- you ruined the moment." I open my eyes, letting out a chuckle.

"Sorry." He cleared his throat and flinched when he saw the group staring at us.

"Guys, do you have something to tell us?" Kie crossed her arms across her chest.