29.

Kidnapping JJ from the hospital was the last thing I thought I'd be doing. He could die, what happens if they find out he's gone. I rolled him out in a wheelchair. I felt fine days ago but they kept me there. I wasn't sure why but it was okay. I'm sure JJ would be fine. But I didn't want to risk anything. I just loved seeing him happy. Even in his death bed, he was smiling. He laughed as I ran outside to see Pope and Kie with a car I hadn't seen before. Their eyes lit up as I stopped right in front of the car with the wheelchair.

"JJ? Son of a bitch." Pope opened the door to help him up.

"Nice to see you again too." He chuckled as he struggled to stand. He did it, better than I thought he would be able to.

"We thought you were dead." Kie was choking back tears.

"You can't get rid of me that easily." He just continued to laugh as I sat down next to him. Pope got into the passenger seat.

"I'm glad you both are okay. I can't lose you guys." Pope looked back to us.

"We can't lose you guys." Kie added.

"So, what's the plan?" I felt JJ lean into me.

"We gotta help John B."

"Where is the man?" JJ asked, clearing his throat.

"I'm back here." I heard a whisper in the trunk, seeing a blanket laying over what looked like a body.

"JB?" I lifted my body up to see him, his fluffy hair covering his eyes.

He pulled his curls out of his face to see us. He smiled at us, lifting his body up.

"JB, I'm so sorry. I'm so so sorry." I practically lunged into his arms, holding him tightly.

"You have nothing to be sorry about. I'm so sorry I haven't been here for either of you. I'm so glad you're okay."  He whispered into the crook of my neck. He was warm and his skin was soft against mine. I felt the need to cry but I couldn't. I had to keep myself under control. He pulled out to look to JJ. "Glad to see you man. I knew you'd make it out."

"No need to get emotional, John B." JJ continues to laugh, was he covering up the fact that he was terrified? Was he still in pain?

"No problem, brother." He just pulled him in for a little slap on the back and they nodded at each other.

"You guys can hug, ya know." Kie laughed as the car began to drive.

"Nah. We don't hug."

"Real men hug." I smiled at the both of them.

"What is our plan then?" JJ turned back around as John B laid back.

"We're gonna get John B out on a ferry. He needs to get off this island."

"Off the island?" I felt a slight pain in my chest.

"Yeah, the cops are after him. They think he killed Peterkin. But it was Rafe."

"Rafe killed Peterkin and shot JJ. How is he not in custody?"

"They don't know about JJ. Peterkin, Ward lied about to save Rafe and himself." Pope looked back to us.

"Of course, why don't we just go to the cops and tell them?"

"Yeah, tried that. They chased after me."

"Oh my god, what are we gonna do?" I felt myself going into panic mode.

"Hey, don't worry. We're gonna get him out safe." Kie called as we pulled into the ferry dock.

Pope gets out to look, seeing a bunch of people surrounding a sign. He looked back to us, grabbing it and getting back into the car.

"Yeah, we're fucked."

He handed me a sign. 25k to whoever turned him in. He was a fugitive.

"The ferry is closed down. Not surprised with that one. God, I need a hit." Popes head goes into his hands.

"Did I hear you say a hit? I've got you, brother." JJ pulls his juul from his pocket and hands it to Pope.

"Pope. You don't have to do that." Kie said.

He took a long drag and held it out to JJ. He started coughing hysterically.

"That's my boy." JJ leaned up, giving him a pat on the back to help him.

He held it out for me but I declined.

"What's wrong, princess?"

"Nothing, Im just worried."

"Nothing to worry about. We always figure things out."

John B sat up and I looked around to see everyone outside looking into the car.

"Hey. That's him!" I heard a kid call out.

"I found him!" Another one said.

"We need to go." I called out, trying to cover John B up. "Get down."

I locked the doors as a man walked up to look into the window.

"Kie, drive!"

"I'm trying!"

The car squeals off. People running after us, a cop car following behind us. I felt like we were driving so fast but they were still coming. I felt JJ's hand wrap into mine and squeeze. I looked up to him and saw fear in his eyes.

"It's gonna be okay."

I nodded and looked behind us. Kie had pulled into a field and the cars passed us.

"John B. Go! Meet us at the docks tomorrow at 3 okay? I've got a plan!" JJ called out as John B frantically got out of the trunk.

"JB!"

He turned around.

"Be careful, I love you." I felt the crack in my voice come out.

"Love you too, Rach. I'll be okay. You'll be okay."

I just nodded my head as I watched him disappear into the field, running as fast as he could.

"You love him? Thought you loved me." I felt JJ whisper against my cheek.

"Not the way I love you. Love as family, don't be jealous, J."

"I'm not. I'm not."

"Whatever."

"What are we gonna do?" I looked to Kie and Pope who looked very focused.

"There's not much we can do."

"We just have to sit around and wait? What was your plan?" I look over to JJ.

"I'm gonna get my dads boat. He can ride out on that tomorrow. Go to Mexico, get out of here until everything blows over."

"You think that's gonna work?"

"It's gotta. That's all we've got." Pope finally looked up again. I could tell he was reeling, maybe smoking wasn't the best idea right now.

-

I sat in my bedroom at John B's, staring at the wall. JJ was asleep, he was still so pale and I was hoping that he was okay. His shirt was lifted slightly and I looked at his wound. It looked good, all stitched up. They must've gotten the bullet out, he was so lucky. My lucky boy. I ran my fingers through his hair, smiling as he moved slightly in his sleep. He pulled me into him, which caught me by surprise. I just smiled, feeling his hands snake over my body.

"You're not sleeping." I whispered into his neck, digging my head deep into the crook of it.

"Shhh. Yes I am."

"God, I love you." I kissed the side of his neck and he slightly flinched.

"You make me crazy."

"Good."

I heard someone walk into the house, which sent my body up. I stood up, hearing footsteps coming towards my room.

"Rachel?"

I felt my heart stop when I recognized the voice. JJ was quick to sit up as I opened the door.

There she was, standing there in the doorway.

"Mom?"