18.

JJ and I sat in a cell, awaiting our guardians to come pick us up. I was just now realizing that my mother was called and she would probably not be happy. She hasn't seen me in a week since the fight. JJ had just been talked to by Peterkin. He came back all flustered and kept his head in his hands.

"J, what's wrong?"

"Peterkin knows about the Royal Merchant, they're gonna do surveillance on John B. Might take him into DCS."

"Hey, things are going to be okay." I put my hand on his back but he flinched and moved away.

"I'm going to have to pay restitution on the boat." He started to get upset.

"It's going to be okay. If John B finds the boat, we could pay it back together."

"I don't know why you took the blame. You're such an idiot! You should've just let me handle it, on my own."

"JJ-"

"Rachel McDaniels?"

I stand up, watching JJ's eyes meet mine as I turned around.

"You too, Maybank."

The officer opens the door and we follow them out to see both of our parents. They were talking to each other, exchanging the same look. I turned to JJ and he stands behind his dad. His dad was getting upset, as was my mom.

"Let's go." He barked at JJ.

I just waved to him as he walked off. I finally was face to face with my mother alone.

-

The ride home was practically silent. She was waiting for us to get home before she laid into me. I walked into the front door, turning to face her. That was my first mistake. I felt her hand slap across my face.

"Are you out of your mind? We have to pay 15 thousand dollars in restitution! You're such an idiot!"

"I knew that already but thanks." Another mistake.

She threw into me again, this time throwing fists and elbows.

"Enough with the bullshit."

"Mom-"

"No, I'm tired of you hanging out with those kids. Especially the Maybank boy. He's bad news."

"You don't know them. They're my friends."

"They're not your friends, they're using you."

"JJ is one of the most kindest sweetest boys I've ever met."

"Please don't tell me you're sleeping with him. Oh my god."

"And what if I was?"

"You're dead."

She started to chase me down the hallway and I reached for the door. She started hitting me in the ribs and the side, using her feet to kick into me. I was feeling the pain with every kick, it got worse.

"You're sleeping with pogues now? You're turning out just like your father. That's why he left!"

"Bullshit. It's because you're abusive! He left you when he had the chance, I should've taken it a long time ago."

"Is that where you've been? Sleeping at JJ Maybanks house?"

"No, his dad is just as abusive as you."

"You made me this way!"

She throws a punch into my jaw, as I feel blood running down my chin.

"Mom, please. Please stop."

She threw one more punch as I looked to the ground, seeing the blood fly into a puddle.

"Get the fuck out of my house. I don't ever wanna see you again. Go live your pogue life. Get pregnant or get killed, hanging out with Maybank is going to do that to you."

"You don't know anything about him. But I will gladly get the hell out. Don't ever try to come find me, I'm never coming back."

She just stands above me as I wipe my chin, spitting more blood on to the floor. I grab the doorknob and walk out the back door. I began to run faster than I had ever ran before. I stopped when I saw JJ's house, and saw him in his front window. He was pointing a gun at his dad.

I stopped in my tracks, panting. I looked up to him and saw the tears in his eyes. He was hesitant, until he stopped. He put the gun back into his bag and grabbed it. He turned, facing me. His eyes widened when he saw me, he ran quickly to me outside. Tears still welled in his eyes. He dropped his bag standing in front of me. He had cuts and bruises across his face, that were slowly turning purple. They were fresh. His hair fell over his eyes, but I could tell he was crying.

"J?" I felt my voice crack as he just stood in front of me, frozen.

"Did your mom do this to you?" He grabbed my arms, looking over the scratches and bruises. My lip had been bleeding, and my jaw was definitely cracked.

I nodded, trying to keep my cool in front of him.

"JJ, were you going to-"

"Shhhh, it's okay. Everything's okay." He just pulled me into him as we sank down into the ground.

Both of us were crying as we just held each other. He kept whispering in my ear.

"It's okay. I'm here, you're safe now."

"JJ." I lean out of him, touching my hands to his skin.

"Is my skin still soft?"

I just laughed.

"Shut up."

"Gladly."  His lips crash on to mine, startling me again.

I could taste blood as we deepened the kiss but I didn't care. I felt him shift, holding my face to get a better grip. I let my arms rest on his shoulders, grabbing for his hair.

"What is your fascination with pulling my hair?" He said, leaning out.

"You're really ruining the moment, again."

"Sorry, continue."

I pull back into him, letting all my pain leave my body as I sank deeper into the kiss. I didn't want it to end. I didn't want this to end, ever.

I heard someone clearing their throat and I see none other than John B, standing and watching us.

"How long have you been there?" I pulled out of JJ, standing up. I wiped the dirt from my legs as I stood awkwardly awaiting him to say something.

"I told you so."