VI. The Girl

Alec watched the black Range Rover pull away from the curb from the shadows

Alec watched the black Range Rover pull away from the curb from the shadows. He had never felt such a strong sense of melancholy in his whole existence. He longed to be with her, to hold her close. Every fiber of his being craved her, the ethereal mortal, but he knew it was safer for her to go. He had to face his family alone.

For centuries it had been him and his twin sister, Jane, against it all. They were an inseparable team. Unbreakable. Would he have room in his life for another?

'One obstacle at a time,' he thought to himself as he took the elevator back down to the depths of the castle that he called home.

"Brother," Jane greeted him when he re-entered the ballroom. Her platinum blonde hair was tucked neatly in a braided bun. Her hair was a sharp contrast to his dark brown locks that were cropped short and  lay neatly across his forehead. Her crimson eyes matched his own.

"Alec! We were beginning to worry!" Aro called jovially from the middle of the room where he, Caius, and Marcus stood. The rest of the vampires had vacated the room, although the floor was still littered with dozens upon dozens of fresh corpses.

"Worry not! We saved one for you," Aro grinned. He gestured grandly to the left side of the room where a slightly overweight man in a Tommy Bahama shirt and khaki cargo shorts was cowering against the wall, silently crying.

"Thank you," Alec said gracefully with a soft smile.

"Go on. We wouldn't want you to have to explain your actions on an empty stomach," Caius sneered, his white blonde hair shimmering in the natural light that poured from the windows that were positioned high on the walls.

Alec didn't hesitate. In a flash he had the man in a headlock. He snapped his neck before sinking his teeth into the man's neck and bleeding him dry.

"Well, aren't you feeling humane today," Caius said, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

"Now, now," Aro said soothingly. "Allow the boy to explain himself." Aro reached his hand out towards Alec expectantly.

"Please do," Caius said.

Marcus looked on stoically.

Alec stepped toward Aro and took his hand, sharing his every thought with him instantly. He didn't mind. He was used to it. If anything, it made having discussions with Aro much easier. It saved everyone their breath and time.

"The girl..." Aro released Alec's hand, allowing him to return to his original spot.

"She's--," Alec said, unsure where to begin. "I saw her and...I..."

"Ah," Aro breathed. "I see."

Caius gave Aro a hard look, impatience written all over his face.

"It seems like our Alec has found his mate," Aro said, keeping his eyes trained on Alec.