LIV. Gone

I involuntarily squeezed my eyes shut as I threw the door open, and I swung the machete blindly

I involuntarily squeezed my eyes shut as I threw the door open, and I swung the machete blindly. I felt resistance as the blade hit home; the hit was accompanied by a loud whooshing exhale.

After a beat, I reluctantly opened my eyes.

Liam stood on my doorstep, eyes wide and blood pouring out of his abdomen. The machete was lodged just under his rib cage. His mouth gaped as he struggled to talk, but the only noise that came out was wet, muddied garbling.

I stared into Liam's eyes. They were unfocused and glassy. A tear slipped down the side of his face as he continued to struggle for his voice. Unable to look away, I jerked the machete back and dislodged it from his torso.

Liam fell to the ground. Dark blood poured out of the massive wound and pooled underneath him.

"Liam...Liam..." I muttered feebly as I crouched down next to him.

'I told him how to find you, anyway, just so you know,' I recalled Renesmee telling me on the phone earlier that week.

"Liam...," I continued to mutter helplessly. My hands hovered over him shakily. I wanted to take action but my mind was stuck.

Liam stared at the sky, taking labored breaths as he continued to lose blood. He slowly returned his gaze back to mine and stared with sudden, intense clarity.

"I don't want to die," he pleaded weakly.

My body trembled violently as I sat there, uselessly, as Liam bled out.

"Liam..." I whined lamely.

His jaw went slack. His face went grey. His chest stopped moving.

He was gone.