XI. Boundaries

The following morning I decided that my life would be much easier if I simply never left my room

With the Volturi soldiers breathing down my neck, the Cullen's felt uncomfortable with me staying under the same roof as Renesmee, so I was cast out of the home.

Fortunately for me, Edward and Bella had a cottage nestled deep in the forest. It was still within comfortable running distance to the main home so the warring covens could still keep an eye on each other during my stay. Instead of all fifteen of us cramming under one roof, it was agreed that the werewolves and the Cullens got the main house and the Volturi soldiers and I would stay in the cottage.

At first, I was annoyed that I wouldn't be able to see Renesmee as much, but once I saw the cottage I quickly changed my tune. It was absolutely adorable and, if I was being honest, it felt nice to share living space with less vampires.

Since I was the only person who slept, I got the master bedroom all to myself. I was very grateful for this because it had an en suite master bathroom which allowed me to have more privacy. The cottage was the perfect mix of modern minimalism and rustic character. I found the cottage to be very pleasing but, based on the expressions of my housemates, I was the only one who was impressed.

At around noon I heard a light knock on my bedroom door. I was still in bed and completely unwilling to get up.

"Go away," I moaned after the third round of knocks.

The door cracked open, but whoever it was simply continued to hover on the other side.

"Come in," I sighed, caving in. I curled up and pulled the comforter over my head.

'Maybe if they can't see me the vampires will forget I'm here...'

For a brief moment I was at risk of laughing at my own dumb joke.

"It's good to see you're still alive," Alec's voice drifted across the room.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked sulkily.

"I couldn't hear you. Your heartbeat, your breathing--"

"Yeah. I do that. It's kind of a whole thing," I interrupted.

"Interesting," he murmured.

"I'm surprised the Cullens didn't tell you about it already," I was trying to get under his skin. He always seemed so composed. It was annoying.

"We're not exactly on speaking terms at the moment. Past the essentials, that is."

"Fascinating," I lied.

"I was wondering if you would like to join me for a walk," Alec changed the subject.

"No," I said flatly. "I'm never leaving my room."

"Getting fresh air might do you some good."

I didn't respond.

"I understand," he said simply before leaving.