XXV. Discord

Despite my reluctance, I decided to return to school to pick up the twins after I dropped Renesmee off in La Push

After the first week of school, Jane put her foot down and demanded that I let her and Alec carpool with me. I didn't know what Bella and Edward did to make them so miserable, but I took pity on them and agreed.

I didn't regret skipping school, but I felt a little guilty for leaving Jane and Alec to suffer through the school day alone. Under normal circumstances, Jane could rot for all I cared, but after Renesmee tipped me off, I felt like I could at least try to be nicer.

I pulled into the school parking lot just as the final bell rang, dismissing everyone for the day. I waited as students began to spill out of the front entrance, keeping an eye out for the twins. They were hard to miss. They were beautiful, well dressed, and always together. I was also biased, but that was neither here, nor there.

Sure enough, my precious little angels descended the stairs that led to the parking lot. I lightly hit my horn twice and waved, catching their attention. At first they looked startled, then they glared as they walked quickly towards the car. I bit my lip in an attempt to not laugh at their sour expressions as they climbed into the car.

"Where the hell were you?" Jane asked sharply as she slid into the backseat.

"I grabbed lunch with Renesmee," I explained, still fighting to keep a straight face.

"You couldn't shoot us a text?" Alec huffed, closing the passenger door with extra force.

"Cry me a river," I said, pulling out of the parking lot. "Be thankful I came back for you."

"You can't skip school. You broke our deal," Jane said vehemently.

"It was a worthy cause. Plus, you never specified how often I needed to go to school, just that I had to go to school," I shot back.

"That's cheating. Right, brother?" she said, appealing to Alec for back up.

"It sounds like cheating to me," Alec said.

"Please. You're just bitter because I left you alone with Liam," I teased.

Alec scowled.

"You're lucky we're not dragging you to the airport," Jane threatened.

"Would you two calm down already?" I exclaimed. "Geez! It was just one day."

"You're also lucky you didn't get sliced to ribbons by one of those dogs," Alec said rigidly.

"Maybe she should've. That'll teach her a lesson," Jane spat.

"I get that you're used to being the little prince and princess of the universe back in Volterra, but if you think I'm going to sit here and wipe your asses for you, you're in for a big surprise," I snapped.