XXXIII. Lifestyle

Renesmee called me as soon as I cut the engine in front of the cottage

"I just got back. Let me drop my things off and I'll walk over," I told her.

"It's an easy walk for vampires, but you'll need some help. Unless you want to get here at 1am," she said.

"Of course, it is. Why would anything around here be convenient for normal people?" I asked rhetorically.

"It's okay, I'll carry you. Hold on, I'll be over in a few minutes," she said.

"I'd rather drive," I declined. I knew how fast vampires could run and I wanted no part of it.

"That'll take so much longer," Renesmee complained.

"I don't care. Now, send me a pin of your location," I instructed.

"Our home isn't on the map."

"Okay, I'll use a different app."

"No, it's not on any map," she elaborated.

"Fine, then. Get over here and you drive."

"Sure, sure. Be there in a second," she surrendered before hanging up.

"Is it safe to assume that I'm not invited," Alec said humorously as Jane climbed out of the car.

"Do you want to spend your evening hanging out with the Cullens?" I asked.

"I would like to spend my evening with you," he said.

"Well, I have some good news for you. We'll have many, many more evenings together in the future. Centuries worth, actually," I said with a coy smile.

"I suppose I could live without you for one night," he exhaled.

"I'll literally be gone for, like, two hours. I'll be back before you know it."

The sound of someone knocking on the driver's side window broke up our conversation. I turned toward the noise and saw Renesmee peering at us through the window with a big, silly grin.

"That's my que," Alec said. He leaned across the center console and planted a firm kiss on my lips before disappearing. He left me feeling thrilled and breathless; I needed an extra moment to compose myself.

Renesmee knocked on the window again.

"Get in," I said through the window, gesturing toward the open passenger door.

She shook her head in response.

"Get. In," I repeated.

Renesmee tried the door handle, opening my door as I reached to hit the lock button.

"I'm driving," she said, shooing me out of my seat. "I know the way."

"Just tell me where to go," I protested.