XXIII. Beau

When the following Monday arrived, I half hoped I would be able to quit school

When the following Monday arrived, I half hoped I would be able to quit school. I'd committed to becoming a vampire and my relationship with Alec was going in a positive direction; I thought that would've been enough.

Unfortunately, I was wrong. Demetri gleefully reminded me that the only way I could quit school was if I returned to Italy. Their mission was to take me back to Volterra as a human, not to convince me to become one of them. I still didn't understand why the Volturi leaders wanted to meet me as a human and, frankly, I was too afraid to ask.

At first, I believed that sitting through my senior year was doable, but halfway through Chemistry class that day, Liam reminded me that we'd only been in school for one measly week. I was tempted to throw a hissy fit over it, since Alec and Jane were only a few tables ahead of us and would undoubtedly hear every word, but I didn't want to freak Liam out. All he way trying to do was be pleasant and hold a conversation with me.

At lunch, I chose to sit with Edward and Bella again. I knew I couldn't spend the whole year in the girl's room and, as it turned out, they weren't horrible company. They greeted me with kindness and didn't seem to mind having me around.

Just as I was about to tuck into a chocolate pudding cup, Alec and Jane approached our table.

"Do you mind if we join you, cousin?" Alec asked Bella humorously.

"Sure. You are family, after all," she replied with a tight smile.

"Thanks," Jane said flippantly as she took a seat to my right.

Alec followed suit, taking the remaining seat to my left.

"Are you two surrounding me for a reason?" I asked before shoveling a sporkful of pudding into my mouth.

"Is it so hard to believe that we want to spend time with you?" Jane asked with insidious sweetness.

"I guess not," I shrugged. I knew her remark was catty, but I brushed it off. I didn't want to risk alienating her while she was trying to be nice, no matter how insincere her efforts were.

Bella gave Jane a dirty look, but Edward chose to be cordial. We were all going to be there for a while, so we might as well get comfortable.

The rest of my day progressed uneventfully. I'd fallen into the rhythm of my classes and was beginning to adapt to my new life.

English class was a little less boring because I had Alec. Liam was still friendly enough, but I had a hard time dividing my attention between the two boys. Alec didn't steal my attention on purpose. He was absolutely dazzling, and I was growing more and more attached to him with each passing day.

I felt a wave of dread when the bell rang and dismissed us from class. The prospect of having to sit through another class without Alec made my heart hurt.

"We'll see you around, Alec," Liam said as he quickly stood from his desk.

"I can walk with you," Alec offered.