XXXIV. Slumber

The rest of the evening flew by

The rest of the evening flew by. Renesmee and I each collected an armful of snacks from the kitchen and curled up in her room, putting on a random Netflix documentary. It felt so nice to be able to sit down and relax; we were free to have fun and be silly.

Autoplay slipped another documentary on while we weren't paying attention, and by the time we noticed we were already wrapped up in the new one. One video blended into the next, and as the moon crept higher into the sky I accidentally passed out right there on Renesmee's bed.

* * *

My eyes fluttered open in the dead of night. I looked around, disoriented, as my eyes adjusted to my dark surroundings. Silver moonlight steamed through the window and pooled on the floor.

After a long moment, I realized that I was still at the Cullen's, tucked into bed. Renesmee lay to my right, sleeping soundly; her bed was more than large enough to comfortably accommodate the two of us. I fumbled around until I located my cell phone on the bedside table and checked the time.

2:15 AM

I squeezed my eyes shut and resisted the urge to curse. I was supposed to return to the cottage hours ago. I wouldn't have thought it was a big deal except that I'd received no text messages or phone calls from Alec. I didn't know what that indicated, but I doubt it was good.

I felt so off, waking up without him next to me. It felt wrong. The void I felt put my nerves on edge.

I crawled out of bed and scrambled for my car keys, deliberately ignoring the fact that I didn't know the route back to the cottage. Anxiety ate at my stomach as I scooped up my keys from the top of the TV stand and crept out of the room, being mindful not to disturb Renesmee on my way out.

Moving swiftly and quietly, I made my way to the top of the staircase; I paused when I heard familiar voices drift up from the first floor. I hid just out of sight and focused on the conversation, tuning in easily.

Downstairs, Jacob was speaking to the Cullens, short of Emmett and Rosalie. His voice was low and urgent, and it became rapidly apparent that Jacob was discussing his poor opinion of my relationship with Renesmee. Considering the absurd hour he chose to stop by, it was obvious that he was going over Renesmee's head with the matter.

"It's not safe for her to hang around Violet and you know it," Jacob asserted. "She's too close to those Italian parasites. They have reasons to not hurt Violet, but there's nothing holding them back from hurting Nessie. And it would be very easy for them to drum up a justification for it, too."

"Spending time around Volturi soldiers is safer for her than hanging around your pack of wolves," Jasper said, dismissing Jacob's claims.

"That's not true," Jacob said, shivering as his temper flared.

"My point exactly," Jasper replied.

"It's not an ideal situation, but I can see the Volturi. I can't see you," Alice added. Her tone was noticeably less perky than usual.