XLVI. Birds & Bees

I slept through most of the next day

I slept through most of the next day. When I awoke, I was both relieved and startled to find Alec in bed with me.

"Good morning. Or, afternoon, rather," he greeted me with a smile, although his eyes were guarded.

"I'm glad you decided to stick around," I teased sleepily. I was surprised by how easy it still was to be around him.

"Always," he assured me.

"Don't make promises you can't keep," I said before rolling over to check my phone.

Alec glanced away guiltily.

"Do you need something to eat?" he asked after a moment.

I continued to swipe through my messages and tapped out a quick note to Renesmee before hitting send.

"I'm gonna see if Renesmee wants to meet up for a bite," I said easily. "I could use the fresh air."

"Of course. I completely understand," Alec said, immediately backing off.

I glanced over and saw insecurity in his expression as he looked away from me.

"I'll just be a few hours," I said, nudging him. "I feel bad for bailing on her yesterday."

"Isn't she out of town?" Alec asked.

"Oh. Right. I totally forgot," I pouted, just as my phone buzzed in my hand.

'I would LOVE to! Meet me at our usual spot at 8?' Renesmee said.

'Sounds great! See you then :)' I replied.

"Looks like she's going to head back from Seattle to meet, anyway," I grinned. I was incredibly relieved.

"That's kind of her," Alec said plainly. His tone didn't quite match his words. "Will you be okay waiting that long to eat?"

"I'm fine," I insisted. "I can take care of myself."

"I know you can. I just worry about you."

I gave him a light kiss on the lips. "I appreciate it. But I'm fine."

"Okay," Alec said, visibly relaxing a bit.

"I love you," I said, kissing him again with a little more warmth.

"Thank you," he sighed.

"Of course," I said, running my hand through his hair. "I always will."

"I love you, too," he said sincerely. "More than you know."

"I certainly hope so. If you didn't, I'd be in trouble," I laughed.

"I will always protect you, Violet. No matter what happens between us," Alec said earnestly.

"Don't make promises you can't keep," I reminded him with a melancholic smile.

* * *